Estimated Reading Time: 1
The convoy of Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, was reportedly attacked at Baga, a town in the state, on Wednesday.
TheCable reports that the governor was on his way to some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the northern part of Borno when the incident happened.
“The governor went to Kukawa, and on his way to Baga his convoy was attacked. Nobody was injured,” the source said.
It is unclear if Boko Haram insurgents are behind the attack.
Boko Haram fighters opened fire on the convoy of Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, on Thursday night.
Security sources said the insurgents attacked the convoy at Konduga while Zulum was returning from a trip to Bama local government area.
The incident was said to have happened around 9pm.
Zulum had visited Bayo, Kwaya Kusar, Askira Uba and Gwoza as part of his “familiarity and need assessment tour” of the 27 LGAs in the state.
“Luckily the governor, his commissioners and other vehicle in the convoy escaped unhurt but the last vehicle which is an army gun truck was pelted with bullets,” the source said.
“Immediately after they fired at us, our men in collaboration with the armed personnel from the Federal Special Anti Robbery Squad (FSARS), quickly retaliated and thwarted the ambush.”
Konduga, an area near Sambisa forest, has come under many attacks from the faction of Boko Haram under the control of Abubakar Shekau.
- Whistleblowing should include issues of Public Safety – Vice President Osinbajo tells FG
- NERC suspends electricity tariff increase for 14 days
- Trump, Biden exchange words in chaotic first presidential debate
- House of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill – here’s why
- Nigerian Senators reject Buhari’s nominee as PENCOM DG
- Nigeria’s 2020 budget has suffered a loss of over $14 billion – Senate President
- P&ID: UK Court orders release of $200 million deposit to Nigeria
- Nigeria@60: Federal Government declares October 1 Public holiday
- Buhari asks NASS for N147 billion refund for Ondo, four other states
- Convoy attack: Borno NASS members visit Zulum in Maiduguri