Estimated Reading Time: 1
Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has denied allegations made by the All Progressives Congress, APC, that the State Government is responsible for the destruction of their governorship candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu’s campaign billboards.
In a statement released by the State Publicity Secretary of PDP, Chris Nehikhare, the party described the accusations levelled against it and Governor Godwin Obaseki as frivolous and unsubstantiated.
Nehikhare condemned the act and emphasised that the PDP and Edo State Government have no hands in the destruction or damage to billboards posted by the APC.
He urged the opposition party to look inward as it is common knowledge that the APC is seriously divided, populated by known thugs, and brigands in the many factions that exist within it.
The State Publicity Secretary noted that Edo people have not forgotten how the APC resorted to bombing each other’s residences as they battled for their governorship ticket.
Nehikhare said the people also remember the treachery, blackmail, threats, and counter-threats employed to arrive at their predetermined candidate.
He expressed surprise that a party made up of characters that throw bombs at each other at will, shoot at their party members while they are holding meetings, exported to other states to rig elections, and is lagging behind in an independent opinion poll it conducted itself would contemplate that the PDP or its government would pay attention to posters or billboards without messages and want them destroyed or damaged.
Nehikhare stressed that the PDP and Edo State Government cannot be blackmailed or distracted by the baseless allegations and noted that Edo people are too politically sophisticated to fall for a sham.
He added that the PDP will concentrate on its agenda of resetting Edo for a better and brighter tomorrow and not lose sleep over the rantings of the APC’s allegations.
- Investigation: The Ex-Boko Haram Fighters, eluding detection, start a new life in Kaduna, Kano, and Abuja
- “We are saddened by this dastardly attack” – APC Governors on Babagana Zulum’s Convoy
- Increased tariff: Lai Mohammed says the previous administration created problem in power sector
- Fact Check: A website offers freebies for people to stay home, then invades users’ privacy
- In Kaduna, govt reportedly jettisons report because Zazzau kingmakers are allegedly ‘buying votes’
- Nigeria Labour Congress Insist on strike action
- House of Representatives has waded into the crisis between FG and NLC
- “This is hardly the time to raise taxes” – Vice President Yemi Osinbajo
- APC Lawmaker says water Bill is a Northern agenda to tighten the noose on the South
- European airlines are reducing fares to attract passengers and fill the planes that are still flying