Estimated Reading Time: 1
Minister for Aviation Senator Hadi Sirika has disclosed the Akanu Ibiam International Airport would finally be reopened on or August 30 2020.
The airport was shut down on August 24, 2019 for rehabilitation of the three kilometers runway with a promise that it would be ready for Christmas use on December last year.
Works on the airport however dragged to March when the coronavirus pandemic further altered the rehabilitation works, thus shifting completion of the work.
Sirika, who was in Enugu on Tuesday, for inspection of the rehabilitation works, however told newsmen that the airport would be reopened for use again by the end of August.
Sirika said: “We have about 90 to 95 percent completion of this job. Other works including perimeter fencing and airfield lightening are going on to ensure they are delivered so it can really answer it’s name, Akanu Ibiam International airport Enugu.
“Rainy season is also a monster in delivering a procurement of this nature but the contractor is dong his best.
“I am very happy with the pace of works and I am very confident that this procurement will be delivered on the 30th of August 2020.
” This is in due consideration to the wheather, but with the help of God, we will deliver this procurement on the 30th of August. So will be inviting you either on the 30 or 31st to reopen this runway for use.”
He expressed appreciation to the South East Governors, particularly Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu state for their efforts and assistance in the job.
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others