Estimated Reading Time: 1
The United Nations says Musician, Oladapo Oyebanjo aka D’Banj, is not a United Nations Youth Ambassador for Peace.
The Director of Information, United Nations Information Centre for Nigeria, Joseph Kayanja, confirmed to journalists on Wednesday
According to his Wikipedia page, D’Banj claims that he was the first Nigerian to be appointed a UN Youth Ambassador for Peace.
Following the rape allegations levelled against D’Banj by Seyitan Babatayo, an online petition was started calling on the UN to strip the musician of the title.
The petition on Change.org has been signed by over 22,000 people as of June 24, 2020.
Responding to an inquiry by The PUNCH however, the UN said that D’Banj was never at any time given the title of ambassador by the UN.
The email read in part, “I would like to confirm that the said Mr. Oladapo Oyebanjo aka D’Banj is NOT a UN Ambassador. The title was accorded to him by an obscure UN youth association which has nothing to do with the United Nations. I hope this clarifies.”
Dbanj who recently signed an endorsement deal with Heritage Bank to mark his 40th birthday, is currently a subject of police investigation.
- NDLEA arrests a trans-border drug trafficker with N1bn worth of cocaine in Sokoto
- Just In: Katsina orders reopening of boarding schools after Kankara abduction
- Salihu Tanko-Yakasai’s family petitions DSS
- COVID-19: Nigeria to get four million vaccine doses Tuesday
- APC Youths blame Salihu Tanko-Yakasai for his comments on Buhari – demand his release
- Chinedu Ekeke: Buhari regime, gasping for air, begging to breathe
- Correction: 317 kidnapped schoolgirls of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara yet to be freed
- I will never accept and legalise same-sex marriage – Ghana President, Akufo-Addo
- Fans react as Davido is spotted holding hands with alleged new lover, Mya Yafai
- Why we arrested Salihu Tanko-Yakasai – DSS Reveals