Estimated Reading Time: 2
Concerned Nigerians group has asked the Nigerian Police to immediately release the chairman of the board of trustees (BoT) of the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG), Mr. Nastura Sharif who’s currently being detained for leading a protest against the insecurity in Northern Nigeria.
Mr. Nastura Sharif, chairman of the board of trustees (BoT) of the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG) was arrested by the police in connection with the protest against the insecurity in the north.
You would recall that on Tuesday, some members of the group protested in Katsina, calling on Aminu Masari, the governor and president Muhammadu Buhari to resign over their inability to safeguard the lives and property of Nigerians in the North.
Reacting to the development, the Concerned Nigerians group in a statement signed by its convener, Deji Adeyanju berated the Federal government and the Police of being intolerant of dissents.
“We are greatly worried that the President is arresting critics of his sheer incompetence in the handling of security situations in the North instead of the bandits killing Nigerians. The president should arrest the bandits and not patriotic citizens speaking up against the gross incompetence of the government. A government that negotiates and begs bandits cannot be arresting critics.”
“The president needs to show leadership and stop arresting those criticizing him. We are in democracy and this system of government gives the citizens the right and freedom to hold elected public officials accountable”. If the president can’t tolerate dissents, then, he should be courageous enough to resign. Freedom of assembly is one of the most fundamental rights of the citizens in a democracy.”
Adeyanju further stated that, the primary responsibility of any government is security of lives and property of its citizens and president Muhammadu Buhari and the governor of Katsina, Aminu Bello Masari have greatly failed.
“All the energy being expended by the Police in arresting Mr. Nastura Sherif and other Concerned Nigerians who protested on Tuesday in Katsina should be channeled into taming the monstrous bandits terrorizing the people of Katsina and other parts of North”.
“We are solidly behind Nastura Sherif and we call on the Nigerian government to release him immediately from detention.” Adeyanju stated.
- Laycon wins Big Brother Naija Season 5
- Convoy of Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, was again attacked on Sunday
- Investigation: The Ex-Boko Haram Fighters, eluding detection, start a new life in Kaduna, Kano, and Abuja
- “We are saddened by this dastardly attack” – APC Governors on Babagana Zulum’s Convoy
- Increased tariff: Lai Mohammed says the previous administration created problem in power sector
- Fact Check: A website offers freebies for people to stay home, then invades users’ privacy
- In Kaduna, govt reportedly jettisons report because Zazzau kingmakers are allegedly ‘buying votes’
- Nigeria Labour Congress Insist on strike action
- House of Representatives has waded into the crisis between FG and NLC
- “This is hardly the time to raise taxes” – Vice President Yemi Osinbajo