Estimated Reading Time: 1
Maikanti Baru, the former group managing director of the NNPC, has died.
Mr Baru died late Friday night in yet undisclosed location and of undisclosed ailments. He was 60.
His death was announced early Saturday morning by the current head of the state-owned energy conglomerate, Mele Kyari.
“My brother, my friend and my mentor, Dr Maikanti Kachalla Baru, immediate past GMD of NNPC died late last night,” Mr Kyari wrote on Twitter. “He was of exemplary character and disposition. May Allah forgive him and have mercy upon him.”
According to a statement released by NNPC on their official Twitter account, Dr. Baru, 60, died after a brief illness in an Abuja hospital.
Mr Baru was born in 1959 and led a career in engineering, rising through the ranks at the NNPC before he was eventually appointed to lead the organisation by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016.
Buhari replaced Mr Baru with Mr Kyari in July 2019
- House of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill – here’s why
- Nigerian Senators reject Buhari’s nominee as PENCOM DG
- Nigeria’s 2020 budget has suffered a loss of over $14 billion – Senate President
- P&ID: UK Court orders release of $200 million deposit to Nigeria
- Nigeria@60: Federal Government declares October 1 Public holiday
- Buhari asks NASS for N147 billion refund for Ondo, four other states
- Convoy attack: Borno NASS members visit Zulum in Maiduguri
- ICPC should publish names of persons associated with missing school feeding funds – Minister
- Arewa Consultative Forum caution Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to watch his utterances
- 300 Rice Farmers in Cross River protest unpaid salaries