Estimated Reading Time: 1
Two flights from the United Kingdom will be coming into Nigeria to evacuate British citizens in the country.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, announced this on Wednesday, during the briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
He, however, noted that it would not be possible to take advantage of the situation to evacuate Nigerian citizens in the UK.
“The situation with the flights now coming in is that the UK Government which is effectively chattering these planes… in the contract that they have with those companies, there are provisions not to carry anybody coming to Nigeria on that first leg, so their contract is only to carry passengers going from Nigeria to the United Kingdom. So it would not be possible but furthermore, it also would not have been possible because the plan that we had was to use a Nigerian carrier to evacuate Nigerians from all the countries around the world where we have an evacuation operation unless it is absolutely impossible to do so,” Onyeama said.
He noted that the ministry is developing new guidelines for citizens seeking to be evacuated.
He explained that part of the new guidelines would require that intending evacuees must do a compulsory test for the COVID-19 at least five days to their departure.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://www.paystack.com/paynewswirengr
Also, kindly donate to the work we do using this interim PAYPAL ID https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- NDLEA arrests a trans-border drug trafficker with N1bn worth of cocaine in Sokoto
- Just In: Katsina orders reopening of boarding schools after Kankara abduction
- Salihu Tanko-Yakasai’s family petitions DSS
- COVID-19: Nigeria to get four million vaccine doses Tuesday
- APC Youths blame Salihu Tanko-Yakasai for his comments on Buhari – demand his release
- Chinedu Ekeke: Buhari regime, gasping for air, begging to breathe
- Correction: 317 kidnapped schoolgirls of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara yet to be freed
- I will never accept and legalise same-sex marriage – Ghana President, Akufo-Addo
- Fans react as Davido is spotted holding hands with alleged new lover, Mya Yafai
- Why we arrested Salihu Tanko-Yakasai – DSS Reveals