Estimated Reading Time: 1
As part of the legislative processes to amend the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act, the Senate on Tuesday, took debates on the bill seeking to amendment of the 29 year Act, co-sponsored by Senators Uba Sani (Kaduna Central) and Betty Appiafi (Rivers West).
Chairman, Senate Commuttee on Media And Public Affairs, Dr Ajibola Basiru, explained that Senator Uba Sani who led debates on the general principles of the bill on behalf of the sponsors,stated that the aim of the amendment is to update and strengthen the existing Act to effectively address the challenges being faced in the finance services sector in Nigeria in line with global best practices.
Senator Sani explained that while in other countries such as South Africa and Egypt, the laws regulating banking and other financial institutions are regularly updated. In Nigeria, the law that was enacted almost 30 years ago has remained in force.
According to Senator Sani,the objectives of the bill include – to update the laws governing Banks, Financial Institutions and Financial Services Companies; enhance efficiency in the process of obtaining/granting banking licenses; accurately delineate the regulatory functions of the Central Bank of Nigeria in the financial services industry; update and incorporate the laws for enacting, licensing and regulation of micro-finance banks; regulate the activities of financial technology companies (FINTECHs; and update commensurate penalties for regulatory breaches in the financial services sector.
Senator Uba Sani stated that when passed eventually, the bill will strengthen the legal framework for the regulation of banks to prevent distress especially in turbulent periods like COVID-19 so that the country can adequately prepare and deal with potential post COVID-19 challenges in the banking sector.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://www.paystack.com/paynewswirengr
Also, kindly donate to the work we do using this interim PAYPAL ID https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- #EndSARS: Feminist Coalition website suffers suspected cyberattack
- APC chairman formally receives Senator found guilty of assault, into the party
- ‘Northern Nigeria is the worst place to live in this country’ – Sultan Of Sokoto laments
- Twitter Lawsuit: “We got notice for the hearing late” Adamu Garba explains absence from court
- Mahmood Yakubu asks National Assembly to pass amended electoral act before Q1 2021
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving
- Cheta Nwanze: What NDIC really needs to succeed
- ‘Gowon is a man of honour ‘ Akinwunmi Adesina insists