Estimated Reading Time: 2
The ancient town of Iwo in Osun State has been hit with the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic as a carrier from Kano State sneaked in.
The Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr Rafiu Isamotu on Saturday confirmed the new case.
He lamented that the carrier who brought the disease to Iwo was able to travelled from Kano in spite on of the ban on inter state movement. With the new case in Iwo, the resident of the town who were in doubt about the existence of the infection now seemed to believe it.
The Iwo case brings the number of active cases in the State to three as the state remains under partial lockdown.
According to the Commissioner, “The COVID-19 confirmation test for one suspected case came back positive on Friday out of the 14 samples we sent for testing at the NCDC accredited Testing Centre; the African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases, Ede during the week. The case sneaked into the State from Kano State and the neighbours immediately alerted our COVID-19 team.
“Presently, we have 3 active cases in the State. The good news is that the new case on arrival self isolated although wasn’t showing any symptom of the virus,” he added.
Isamotu said a total of 434 tests have been conducted at the NCDC accredited Testing Centre in Ede and that testing was still ongoing.
He added that the State government isn’t resting on its oars in preventing community transmission of the virus and the the lockdown in the state would be reviewed from time to time. He appealed to residents of the State to always be on the alert and immediately report any suspected case of coronavirus. He also urged them not to accommodate anyone from outside the state at this time, saying that it is dangerous to do so at the moment.
His words “I am appealing to all the residents of the State to always be on the alert, take charge and report any suspected case by calling our COVID-19 hotlines. Let us desist from accommodating people in our homes no matter who they are and stop inviting your family and friends to return to the State at this time as this might be dangerous”.
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://paystack.com/pay
Also, kindly donate to the work we do using this interim PAYPAL ID https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR.
- #EndSARS: Bayelsa Government Inaugurates Judicial Panel Of Inquiry
- Court rejects EFCC’s request for an arrest warrant for Diezani
- Prisoners who escaped from Edo prison rearrested for robbery and attempted murder
- Adamawa State: Police recovers 35 tractors from looted items, arrest over 200 suspects
- Government begins payment of N30,000 grants to 333,000 artisans
- Federal Government approves N2.9 billion for printing of National Examinations’ materials
- Borno Governor approves scholarship for orphans of Civilian JTF killed since 2013
- President Buhari launches 2021 Armed Forces, Remembrance Day emblem and appeal fund
- Returning looted goods may not save you from prosecution -Police say
- Osun Govt begins house-to-house search for stolen items