Estimated Reading Time: 1
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State has ordered local government officials to flog residents of the state found moving around in public without wearing face mask.
Speaking at a stakeholders meeting on Wednesday, in Abakaliki, the state capital, Umahi reportedly said that it was important for residents to use face masks to halt the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
Meanwhile, Ebonyi has not recorded any case of COVID-19 to date.
Said he: “Let me warn again that no face mask in Ebonyi State, no public movement.
“If you don’t have a face mask and you are out, I am directing the local government chairmen to use their men to inflict the minimum compliance which is the cane – the cane.
No face mask, you will attract cane, it doesn’t matter who you are. If you are a big man and you are coming outside and you do not have a face mask, you will face trouble and the law is very clear about that.
“We have also emphasised, in fact, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) has also warned that the order of blocking must be maintained.
“The police must block the first point of the border, the army must give a safe distance and then block, then the other security agencies will now block and then after that, it is now the neighbourhood watch”.
On Wednesday, Umahi had barred two journalists from covering state functions for “writing bad reports about the state”.
- Nigeria is more corrupt today than it was in the past – Pat Utomi
- University of Calabar to resume February 5th
- NFF sets up Special COVID-19 task force
- COVID-19: Federal Government releases N10Billion for local vaccine production
- A Traditional Ruler in Adamawa has been kidnapped
- Kano enforces COVID-19 restrictions; civil servants to stay home, viewing centres shut down
- Kaduna University will reopen January 25 – VC
- Over 15 million Nigerians abuse drugs – NDLEA new boss promises to end drug abuse
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman