Estimated Reading Time: 1
Plateau State has recorded its index case of the coronavirus disease.
This brings the total number of states in the country affected by the pandemic to 27 including the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
Plateau State Commissioner for Health, Dr Ninkong Lar Ndam, who confirmed the development said the index patient returned from Kano State recently.
Ndam said, “The NCDC on Thursday 23rd April 2020 released its daily COVID-19 Case Update which confirmed the first index case in Plateau State.
“The COVID-19 test was conducted on one suspected person that came into Jos from Kano on 17th April 2020 and has been on quarantine since arrival.
“Upon exhibiting symptoms, nasal and oropharyngeal swab was taken and sent to NVRI Vom Laboratory for COVID-19 testing.
“Sadly, the result which was released on Thursday, 23rd April 2020 returned positive thereby making the patient the state index case.
“The patient has since been isolated and is in good medical condition.
“The State Surveillance Team has immediately commenced contact tracing to investigate the case further and institute other Public Health measures to curb the spread of the disease in the State.”
According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, 981 cases of the lethal virus have been confirmed in the country while 197 recoveries and 31 deaths have been recorded.
- Breaking: Armed security officials fire live bullets at thousands of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos
- Flight operations at the Murtala Mohammed Airport suspended
- Nigerian senate asks Buhari to Immediately address citizens #EndSARS
- Breaking: IGP deploys anti-riot policemen nationwide
- Just In: All Progressives Congress leader wants court to shutdown twitter in Nigeria
- Tension as hoodlums set ablaze another police station in Lagos State
- Speaker Gbajabiamila says he will not sign the 2021 Appropriation Bill until … #EndSARS
- Breaking: Lagos Government declares curfew over #EndSARS protests
- Nigerian economy loses N700bn to #EndSARS protests in 12 days
- Just In: 8 killed, 7 others injured in a tanker explosion in Niger State