Estimated Reading Time: 1
Plateau State has recorded its index case of the coronavirus disease.
This brings the total number of states in the country affected by the pandemic to 27 including the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
Plateau State Commissioner for Health, Dr Ninkong Lar Ndam, who confirmed the development said the index patient returned from Kano State recently.
Ndam said, “The NCDC on Thursday 23rd April 2020 released its daily COVID-19 Case Update which confirmed the first index case in Plateau State.
“The COVID-19 test was conducted on one suspected person that came into Jos from Kano on 17th April 2020 and has been on quarantine since arrival.
“Upon exhibiting symptoms, nasal and oropharyngeal swab was taken and sent to NVRI Vom Laboratory for COVID-19 testing.
“Sadly, the result which was released on Thursday, 23rd April 2020 returned positive thereby making the patient the state index case.
“The patient has since been isolated and is in good medical condition.
“The State Surveillance Team has immediately commenced contact tracing to investigate the case further and institute other Public Health measures to curb the spread of the disease in the State.”
According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, 981 cases of the lethal virus have been confirmed in the country while 197 recoveries and 31 deaths have been recorded.
- Getting pregnant out of wedlock is embarrassing to the Police Force – Police PRO
- COVID-19: Federal Government cannot force anyone to take the vaccine – Sultan of Sokoto
- Wole Soyinka scolds National Assembly
- President Buhari has signed COVID-19 Regulations 2021; find the details here
- Amnesty International alleges continued police brutality
- NIMC suspends proposed strike
- Herdsmen crisis: Akeredolu begs Buhari for support
- Nigerian Army deploys 300 female officers to volatile Abuja-Kaduna highway
- Outrage as Abuja area council charges hotel N500,000 radio and television licence fee
- 3rd Mainland Bridge to be shut for another 3 days – FG