Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has announced a further 150-million-dollar commitment to fight the novel coronavirus pandemic.
“The world community must understand that so long as COVID-19 is somewhere, we need to act as if it were everywhere.
“Beating this pandemic will require an unprecedented level of international funding and cooperation,” Bill Gates, the foundation’s co-chair and founder of Microsoft said.
With Wednesday’s announcement, the foundation has now given 250 million dollars to fight the virus and COVID-19, the respiratory disease it causes.
The donation comes just a day after U.S. President Donald Trump said he would halt funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO), a move that was harshly criticised in the international community.
The Gates’ foundation is among the biggest private donors to the WHO.
The new funds will go toward the development of diagnostics, therapeutics, and vaccines, and support efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19 in low and middle-income countries.
The foundation plans to partner with organisation in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia to increase their COVID-19 detection capabilities along with treatment and isolation efforts.
Non-medical funding will also go towards supporting people in extreme poverty who are impacted by the economic fallout of the virus.
- I “cannot continue to be a member of a Political party that endangers” – Former APC Chairman resigns
- Adams Oshiomhole refers to Governor Obaseki as his “brother and friend” after the two met in Auchi
- In Lagos, Police vows to go after hoodlums and criminals in Lekki and Ajah areas
- Why Government must realize that digital currency is the future
- Breaking: APC pulls out of ongoing local government polls in Delta
- CBN Introduce incentives to diaspora remittances: Beneficiaries to get N5 for every USD received
- Breaking: In Kaduna, Gunmen storm Federal Airport Authority quarters, abduct staff, family members
- Buhari and Osinbajo get Vaccinated against COVID-19, when will poor Nigerians get theirs?
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo