Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has announced a further 150-million-dollar commitment to fight the novel coronavirus pandemic.
“The world community must understand that so long as COVID-19 is somewhere, we need to act as if it were everywhere.
“Beating this pandemic will require an unprecedented level of international funding and cooperation,” Bill Gates, the foundation’s co-chair and founder of Microsoft said.
With Wednesday’s announcement, the foundation has now given 250 million dollars to fight the virus and COVID-19, the respiratory disease it causes.
The donation comes just a day after U.S. President Donald Trump said he would halt funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO), a move that was harshly criticised in the international community.
The Gates’ foundation is among the biggest private donors to the WHO.
The new funds will go toward the development of diagnostics, therapeutics, and vaccines, and support efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19 in low and middle-income countries.
The foundation plans to partner with organisation in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia to increase their COVID-19 detection capabilities along with treatment and isolation efforts.
Non-medical funding will also go towards supporting people in extreme poverty who are impacted by the economic fallout of the virus.
- Breaking: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria exceeds 10,000
- “Your appointments will ruin Nigeria”, – Col Umar warns Buhari in open letter
- “We have lost a great member” Redeemed Church Demands #JUSTICE4UWA
- Breaking: Churches to reopen next week in A/Ibom
- Return to negotiation or…, Ngige warns ASUU
- Amnesty International says Nigeria gov’ts response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate
- Raped & left for dead: Edo Governor wants justice for 22-yr-old student of University of Benin
- Buhari’s refusal to address the country on May 29 is because he’s weighed down with failure – PDP
- $5.513bn loan: SERAP wants Buhari to reveal spending details of loans by his government since 2015
- PDP records landslide victory in Benue LGA elections