Estimated Reading Time: 1
Bernie Sanders has announced that he is ending his presidential campaign.
The Vermont independent senator’s 2020 bid started off strong.
He narrowly missed first place in Iowa before picking up wins in New Hampshire and Nevada.
All the while, his campaign continued to rake in millions in small-dollar donations and pack rallies full of supporters as he ascended to national front-runner status amid a crowded Democratic field.
Sanders made the announcement in a call with his campaign staff, his campaign said. Sanders’ exit caps a stunning reversal of fortune following a strong performance in the first three states that voted in February. The nomination appeared his for the taking until, on the last day of February, Biden surged to a blowout victory in South Carolina that set off a consolidation of moderate voters around the former vice president. The contest ends now as the country continues to grapple with the coronavirus pandemic, which halted in-person campaigning for both Sanders and Biden and has led many states to delay their primary elections.
Running as a progressive insurgent against Hillary Clinton in 2016, Sanders popularised ideas like “Medicare for All.”
In 2020, however, a number of candidates backed similar policies, and he faced another prominent progressive in Senator Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who was the first to propose canceling some student debt in April.
- Multinational Joint Task Force says Boko Haram is now recruiting child soldiers
- Court adjourns trial of Former AGF Mohammed Adoke, Abubakar
- Multiple port charges escalate cargo delay at terminals – NAGAFF
- How my pastor trafficked me to Russia for prostitution; A hair stylist’s harrowing experience highlights Nigeria’s human trafficking problem
- Breaking: NBC fines Nigeria Info FM N5m over Obadiah Mailaifa interview
- Magu’s lawyer writes probe panel, alleges ‘secrecy’ and violation of rights
- We raised hate speech fine to N5 million because when it was N500,000 people were reckless – Lai Mohammed
- Ooni Of Ife wants #BBNaija reality show replaced
- Police arraign two brothers over Flying Officer Tolu Arotile’s death
- Squeeze out old politicians who want to remain in power perpetually Obasanjo tells Youths