Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Borno State Governor has frowned at what he described as economic sabotage by what he described as unpatriotic marketers who try to exploit citizens.
The state Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum expressed his displeasure on Friday, when he hosted a meeting with oil industry’s key stakeholders in Borno state in effort to address issues of fuel hoarding and exploitation of citizens.
Present at the meeting were officials of the Department of Petroleum Reaources, DPR; Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, IPMAN; Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, and the National Association of Road Transport Owners, NARTO
The meeting discussed issues on the distribution of products with a view to protecting citizens.
”We know the Borno state Government is not responsible for regulation of petroleum products marketers but then, we have our own tool under the land use act of 1978.
That act has empowered the state Government to not only own land but ensure legitimate use of such based on best practices.
Exploiting citizens is certainly not a legitimate use of land in Borno state and we cannot fold our arms as government.” The Governor said.
“We have given some directives to revisit the land ownership status of some filling stations because of their practices that are not in compliance with DPR’s regulations and we will not hesitate to take measures that will be in the overall interest of the public” Zulum warned.
The governor also announced plans to establish 4 mega filling stations that will help in boosting distribution of products without threatening the investments of independent marketers.
Zulum commended the efforts of the DPR’s regional office in Maiduguri for its works in trying to enforce best practices amongst marketers, and expressed his willingness to work with all marketers and other stakeholders across to ensure adequate supply of products based on fair trade.
- Breaking: NNPC raises alarm over contaminated diesel offered across Nigeria
- Going Green; Nigeria and sustainable architecture
- Gov Yahaya Bello lifts lockdown in Kabba-Bunu, insists Kogi Is COVID-19 free
- Nigerians should emulate President Buhari – Presidency
- Atiku commends removal of fuel subsidy, laments time wasted
- Buhari extends NCC boss, Danbatta’s tenure
- Police arrest Abuja lawyer defending women in a sexual assault case amidst national protest against sexual violence
- Appeal Court rules in favour of Audu Maikori, awards 10.5M in damages
- 3 Brothers Arrested For The Kidnap & Murder Of a 55 Year Old Mother In Abuja
- Covid-19: Kano commences house to house testing