Estimated Reading Time: 1
President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo have been receiving half of their monthly salaries before the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, disclosed this during an interview on Channels TV
“Already, the President and the Vice President are earning 50 per cent of their salaries, they are not earning 100 per cent,” he stated on Tuesday during the Channels Television political programme; PoliticsToday
Adesina explained that both leaders opted to be paid half of their salaries since the inception of the present administration in 2015.
Although he did not disclose what purpose the unpaid halves were used for over the years, he believes both leaders have done well and will be making donations to tackle coronavirus at their own will.
Asked whether the President and his vice were donating their salaries just like the members of the Senate and House of Representatives chambers of the National Assembly, he said, “I can’t say for sure; the members of the federal cabinet are donating 50 per cent of their March salaries.”
“Already, the Vice President and the President are earning 50 per cent. Right from the beginning of the administration (the first term), they had elected to earn half of the salaries they should earn … to ask them to do more will be a voluntary thing,” the presidential aide added.
- SSANU suspends 3 weeks strike
- Twitter announces feature that lets you charge for tweets
- Victor Ejechi: Agricultural Production and the Development of the Nigerian Economy
- Insecurity: Buhari refuses amnesty for terrorist herders
- Kagara Abductions: ‘We are left to ourselves’ Niger Governor laments lack of support from FG
- If we don’t borrow, we will be left behind as a country – Finance Minister
- Kaduna Government says MDAs will only serve individuals with the State Residents Card, NIN
- Cattle and Foodstuff dealers begin nationwide strike
- Smart Adeyemi must apologize to Ikpeazu for calling him a ‘champagne drinking Governor’ – Theodore Orji
- ‘He who alleges must prove’ Bala Mohammed challenges Ortom