Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Benue State Government has confirmed one positive case of Coronavirus, COVID-19.
Governor Samuel Ortom, who broke the news to journalists in Makurdi today after a meeting of the State Action Committee on COVID – 19, said the index case, one Susan Okpe returned from the United Kingdom, a few days ago.
The Governor stated that the blood sample of the affected lady was taken to Abuja alongside others and tested for the virus at the National Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, stressing that the other suspects tested negative.
While advising against stigmatization, he noted that about eight contacts were being observed, pointing out that staff of the facility where the patient went for medical attention would also be isolated and monitored for the required number of days.
The Governor said as part of proactive measures to prevent the spread of the disease in the state, major markets would be closed from Monday, 30th March 2020, and hinted the possibility of closing roads linking Benue and other states in the days to come.
Governor Ortom stated however that shops and medical stores would be open to the public with hand sanitisers placed at strategic entry points to the shops for use by customers.
He reiterated the ban on social gatherings such as funerals, weddings, Church as well as Mosque activities, urging Christians and Muslims to worship at home until the situation improves.
The Governor advised Benue people, in general, to stay at home as the safest measure against contracting the virus, adding that visits of all kinds, especially by those living outside the state, should be discouraged.
According to the Governor, Six ambulances had been made available for quick response to suspected cases of COVID – 19 across the three senatorial zones of the state.
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists
- Just In: Police arrests 25-year-old Wasiu Bankole for allegedly raping a 70-year-old woman
- Innovation in Times of Crisis: How a Nigerian Inventor is taking the lead
- Senate queries CBN over ‘missing’ $3.3 billion
- Nassarawa to get N8.1bn for the construction of multipurpose dam from FG
- Nigerian Airforce records first all-female crew on operational ISR mission
- Civil Society groups in Nigeria call for a state of emergency on SGBV in Nigeria.
- Lagos State Government to reverse Land Use Charge