Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Bauchi State government has confirmed a second case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.
The Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr Aliyu Maigoro, announced this during a press briefing on Thursday in Bauchi.
According to him, the second case is a 62-year-old male and a close friend of the state governor, Bala Mohammed.
Maigoro explained that 48 samples were taken for test and two have been confirmed positive.
He added that 37 others returned negative while the results of nine samples were still pending.
The commissioner noted that the State Ministry of Health has since begun the contact tracing of the second case.
This comes two days after the government confirmed that Governor Mohammed tested positive for the disease.
In a statement on Tuesday, the governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Media, Mukhtar Gidado, explained that Governor Mohammed took the test after he had contact with the son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who had been infected with the virus.
He said the governor had returned to Bauchi from an official trip to Lagos after he met with Atiku’s son on the plane where both men shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.
Governor Mohammed has since gone into self-isolation to prevent any possible spread of the virus but prior to the reported trip, NewsWireNGR recalls that the Bauchi State Governor was in Germany weeks ago along with delegation from the Nigerian Government.
- The security situation in Nigeria today is beyond the APC – Nasarawa Governor cries out
- Reveal identities of the terrorists behind Jangebe schoolgirls abduction – ACF tells Matawalle
- Finally, 3.92 million COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Nigeria
- Buhari has declared Zamfara a no-fly zone
- Insecurity is the number one problem of Africa – Akinwunmi Adesina
- Breaking: Senate confirm appointment of new service chiefs
- Buhari, Osinbajo meet with National Security Council
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s mum is dead
- Just in: Thousands of residents trapped as Boko Haram insurgents take over Dikwa, Borno State
- Our abductors threatened to kill, fry, eat us – Jangebe schoolgirls