Estimated Reading Time: 1
The much anticipated supply of medical equipment donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma, to help fight coronavirus has arrived in Nigeria.
Jack Ma, the co-founder of the online store Alibaba, is sending millions of test kits, surgical masks and protective clothing to Africa, with countries like Rwanda and Ethiopia already beneficiaries.
An Ethiopian Airlines Freighter landed on Tuesday at Lagos Airport International Airport by 3.20 PM to deliver Medical Supplies from the Jack Ma Foundation. The supplies were expected two days ago.
The airline said it is pleased to deliver these much needed critical medical supplies and equipment which help in the global fight against the COVID-19.
“We appreciate the donation of the Jack Ma Foundation and the generosity of Jack Ma. We admire Abiy Ahmed, our Prime Minister, for his initiative and organization of the entire coordination of the process,” Firihiewot Mekonnen, general manager, Ethiopian Airlines, Nigeria said.
The flight carried 5.4 million face masks, kits for 1.08 million detection tests, 40,000 sets of protective clothing and 60,000 sets of protective face shields.
The supplies will be transported on and distributed throughout the rest of the continent.
The remaining shipments of medical supplies are expected to reach Addis Ababa and be distributed to more African nations over the next few weeks.
In a statement sent by the airline, “As an indigenous and pioneer Pan African airline, Ethiopian Airlines has stood together with Africans at all times for the last seven decades. Ethiopian has supported Africans in good and challenging times. In this unprecedented global pandemic, Ethiopian will continue its commitment for African people to help them fight and win this invisible enemy.“
- SSANU suspends 3 weeks strike
- Twitter announces feature that lets you charge for tweets
- Victor Ejechi: Agricultural Production and the Development of the Nigerian Economy
- Insecurity: Buhari refuses amnesty for terrorist herders
- Kagara Abductions: ‘We are left to ourselves’ Niger Governor laments lack of support from FG
- If we don’t borrow, we will be left behind as a country – Finance Minister
- Kaduna Government says MDAs will only serve individuals with the State Residents Card, NIN
- Cattle and Foodstuff dealers begin nationwide strike
- Smart Adeyemi must apologize to Ikpeazu for calling him a ‘champagne drinking Governor’ – Theodore Orji
- ‘He who alleges must prove’ Bala Mohammed challenges Ortom