Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) says it arrested Okoi Obono-Obla, former chairman of the Special Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP), in Abuja on Friday.
Okoi Obono-Obla before his troubles with the various anti-graft agencies, was the face of the Muhammadu Buhari’s administration – he was all over the Television stations across Nigeria defending the Buhari government.
Rasheedat Okoduwa, spokesperson of the commission, disclosed this in a statement. The commission had declared Obono-Obla wanted.
It directed security agencies to arrest him wherever he is found.Okoduwa said the former SPIP chairman was arrested along Aso Drive, opposite the Millennium Park, Abuja on Friday afternoon.
“Obono-Obla’s arrest by operatives of the commission on Friday in Abuja, comes after he was declared wanted in October last year by ICPC for repeatedly failing to honour invitations sent to him,” she said.
“The commission, while investigating allegations of abuse of office, certificate forgery and fraud amongst others, had wanted Obono-Obla to appear before it to clear his name.
“ICPC had kept surveillance on his movements and activities for some time until he was finally arrested along Aso Drive opposite the Millennium Park Abuja on Friday afternoon.”
She added that the suspect was taken to the ICPC headquarters and “run through custody protocols including medical profiling”.
Obono-Obla had denied the allegations against him, saying the action of the ICPC by declaring him wanted was an attempt to ridicule and embarrass him.
He also denied being invited by the ICPC for questioning before he was declared wanted.
Abdul Mahmud a Nigerian lawyer and social critic and the President of Public Interest Lawyers League (PILL), a body of professional and independent group of lawyers confirmed his arrest through his twitter handle.
- President Buhari reconstitutes NNPC board
- We have worked hard for our COVID-19 free status- Cross River Govt
- Nigeria has failed to bring justice for mass atrocities committed during the Biafran war
- Six Airforce personnel jailed over Alex Badeh’s killing
- Former GMD of NNPC, Maikanti Baru is dead
- Obiano signs COVID-19 Prevention Bill into law
- APC accuses Bauchi Governor of starving state assembly of funds
- NCDC receives 50,000 medical face masks from Taiwan
- Nigeria confirms 387 new Coronavirus cases, totalling 9,302
- Buhari says post-coronavirus, an opportunity for Africa to look within, explore manufacturing potentials