Estimated Reading Time: <1
…LASU, LASPOTECH, others under consideration
19th March 2020
As part of measures to curb the spread of coronavirus pandemic, the Federal Government has directed heads of federal institutions and principals of Unity Colleges nationwide to close down the institutions.
Also, the Special Adviser on Education to the Lagos State governor, Mr. Tokunbo Wahab, has said the tertiary institutions in the state might be close over the scourge.
Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Sonny Echono told Daily Sun that the decision to close down the schools was protect and safeguard the lives of students/pupils from the deadly scourge.
Already some state governments and the management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) have closed down school and the scheme to check the spread of the virus.
Echono said: ”We have directed all higher institutions to close this weekend. Unity Schools that have completed their exams are to close immediately. Others are to hurry and close the latest on 26th March.”
The permanent secretary said the ministry will monitor development as total closure might be ordered at any moment.
Wahab said the state government is accessing the situation and that on Sunday, a decision will be taken whether to shut down the Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Ijanikin, Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Epe and other state-owned institutions.
- Just In: Schools across Nigeria remain closed – here’s all you need to know about the lifted restrictions
- In Nigeria, domestic flights to resume Operations from June 21
- Breaking: Religious gatherings can now resume – FG
- Edo Polls: Obaseki seeks Buhari’s intervention
- Breaking: APC governors converge in Abuja for crucial meeting on Obaseki
- Police confirms assassination of district head, APC chairman by bandits
- Breaking: Nigerian Govt reduces petrol pump price to N121.50 per litre
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested
- “Aboki” and the dangers of othering in Nigeria