Estimated Reading Time: 2
A youtube video went viral after writer, Giwa-Amu accused Chimamanda Adichie of plagiarism. Giwa-Amu is a Nigerian-Welsh solicitor based in Cardiff. In the video she claims she had worked with the late China Achebe who has also been a mentor to Ms Adichie and suggests he must have influenced the writing of the book Half of a Yellow Sun.
She then went on to ask people to boycott the book and insisted that, the original work is hers.
In the video, the writer Giwa-Amu claims that “Half of a Yellow Sun is a plagiarized copy of Sade,” a novel she self-published in 1996 and seems to suggest that Chinua Achebe is implicated in the stealing of her work.
Read the statement issued by Ms Adichie’s agents as shared on her facebook page.
STATEMENT REGARDING FALSE CLAIMS FROM ANNE GIWA-AMU
We, the Wylie Agency, are Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s literary agents.
In 2016, Anne Giwa-Amu brought a legal claim against Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and her publishers. Giwa-Amu alleged that Adichie’s novel HALF OF A YELLOW SUN had plagiarized her own novel. A professional independent reader was appointed to read both novels. The reader concluded that there was absolutely no basis for Giwa-Amu’s claim and advised that the claim should not be pursued. Giwa-Amu nevertheless continued with the claim.
On 15 February 2019, Anne Giwa-Amu’s claim brought against Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and her publishers was struck out by the court. The court determined that her claim was ‘an abuse of the court’s process.’ The court ordered Giwa-Amu to pay Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and her publishers the sum of £14,250, which Giwa-Amu failed to pay. The court also ordered Giwa-Amu to pay the legal costs Adichie incurred in defending her baseless claim. Till date, Giwa-Amu has not paid the money.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and her publishers had never heard of Giwa-Amu’s novel until she brought her delusional claim. Her present allegations are false, libellous and constitute a harassment to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Further legal actions are being taken.
Signed: The Wylie Agency
- Just In: Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has tested positive for COVID-19
- Kwara cancels pension to ex-governors signed by Saraki in 2011
- Centre for Liberty demands immediate restoration of access to People‘s Gazette website
- Court orders forfeiture of millions found in Ex-Zamfara State account
- Primary school teachers in Bayelsa threaten strike
- Nollywood actor, Ernest Asuzu has died
- State Capture: Nigeria’s political parties and their associates are malicious – Cheta Nwanze
- Nigeria earned N1.53Trillion from VAT In 2020 – NBS report
- Breaking: Nigerian telecommunication networks block access to Peoples Gazette Website
- Femi Adesina says Buhari felt it was the best time to rejig the security system in the country