Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari says his administration has significantly weakened the Boko Haram insurgents.
In a statement by Garba Shehu, presidential spokesperson, Buhari condemned the recent attack of the insurgents on Garkida in Adamawa state.
On Friday, the insurgents attacked the town, killing many people.
The insurgents reportedly broke into the town around 7pm, shooting sporadically. Soldiers who engaged them in a gun battle were said to have pulled back for reinforcement.
As a result of that, the insurgents reportedly moved into the town, setting many houses on fire.
Reacting to the attack, the president extended his sympathy to the families of the victims and assured them that no part of the country would be abandoned to their fate.
“These attacks on soft targets by the terrorists are obvious signs of frustration because my administration has significantly weakened Boko Haram’s military capability to invade and hold Nigerian territory unchallenged,” he said.
“Our gallant forces deserve our appreciation for repelling the attackers but they must go beyond this point. They have our full support to go after the terrorists and have them pay a huge price. I want to assure the country that terrorists will continue to face the combined power of our military until they give up their mistaken ways.
“These occasional and episodic attacks on poor civilians by the terrorists are mere propaganda efforts to portray them as strong in order to fool the public into believing that they haven’t been militarily weakened by our gallant troops.”
The president also assured them that in the coming weeks, Nigerians would “witness an aggressive campaign to rout Boko Haram once and for all”.
He appealed to citizens to keep supporting the troops in their effort to secure the country.
“Security will continue to be well funded despite the competing needs of social services. I appeal to Nigerians to continue to support our troops in their gallant efforts to protect the citizens and secure the country,” Buhari said.
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law
- Social Media Bill and Hate Speech Bill – Drop Them Now!
- COVID-19: Nasarawa State cabinet members go on self-isolation
- President Buhari has been fair to the southeast despite low 2015, 2019 votes – Femi Adesina