Estimated Reading Time: <1
Odion Ighalo has become the first Nigerian player to feature in a football match for Manchester United.
He was a substitute in the club’s English Premier League match against Chelsea on Monday night.
With his Monday appearance, Ighalo sets the record of being the fist Nigerian player to play for United since 142 years ago that the club was founded.
Ighalo had arrived at the Stamford Bridge ahead of the Premier League blockbuster match between the Blues and the Reds about a few hours before the match.
The Africa Cup of Nations’ highest goalscorer targets adding to his tally of 16 goals from 55 EPL games in his Manchester United debut.
Ole Solskjaer’s men are languishing in ninth but can move to within two points of fifth with a third victory over Chelsea this season.
Ighalo, who joined United from Shanghai Shenhua, was quarantined before he was allowed to train with his new teammates but the coach believes he deserves a chance in the Monday night’s game, saying, “He (Ighalo) is desperate to play for Manchester United.”
- Lagos State Police warn against rallies and protests on October 1
- Federal Executive Council estimates N13.08trn for 2021 fiscal year
- Buhari to address Nigerians for 60th Independence Anniversary
- Just In: Governor Ben Ayade gives out 54 SUVs to LG chairmen, deputies
- Breaking: Emirates airlines resumes flight Operations in Nigeria
- Here’s why the Lagos state Government is cancelling Independence day Parade
- Oba of Benin has asked the PDP not to control Godwin Obaseki
- Former Governor Ayodele Fayose says PDP must retire Olabode George
- Buhari swears in four new permanent secretaries
- Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Bill passes first reading