Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Independent National Electoral Commission, on Friday, issued a Certificate of Return to the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Douye Diri.
INEC earlier declared him as the winner of the November 16 governorship election held in Bayelsa State.
A few minutes after INEC’s pronouncement, Odiri and his deputy arrived at the electoral’s body headquarters in Abuja to receive the Certificate of Return.
Supreme Court had nullified the All progressives Congress victory of November 16 governorship election.
The Supreme Court had ruled that Lyon’s Deputy, Degi Ereminyo, submitted forged certificates that disqualified the joint ticket and nomination.
The court asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to them and reissue the same to the next party with the required constitutional spread.
Yakubu while briefing journalists at the INEC Headquarters confirmed receiving the true certified judgement of the court.
According to him, the commission met on Friday morning to review the results of the election, without the votes of the APC which have been voided by the court.
The total votes cast after excluding those of the APC now stand at 146,999. PDP polled 143,172 and scored 25 percent as required by the law.
As at the time of this report, Senator Diri is in the conference room to receive his certificate of return.
He is accompanied by dozens of his supporters, including some leaders of the PDP.
- NCDC confirms 14 new COVID-19 cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Enahoro, Ali Get Presidential Pardon… 2,600 Inmates Freed
- Pharmacist Arrested For Raping A 12 Year Old Boy
- Court ask Naira Marley to shoot a video against the spread of COVID-19 pandemic – The Singer had said he didn’t believe in the virus
- COVID-19: US Government repatriates 997 Citizens from Nigeria
- Just In: Lagos discharges seven COVID-19 patients
- Breaking: Nigeria’s Buhari grants presidential pardon, clemency to prison inmates over COVID-19
- Coronavirus may be “reactivating” in people who have been cured of the illness, according to Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 90 Percent Of COVID-19 Patients Recover Without Medical Intervention – NCDC Boss
- “Inmates Will Die Like Chickens if Coronavirus Gets into Prison in Nigeria” — Lamboginny