Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Independent National Electoral Commission, on Friday, issued a Certificate of Return to the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Douye Diri.
INEC earlier declared him as the winner of the November 16 governorship election held in Bayelsa State.
A few minutes after INEC’s pronouncement, Odiri and his deputy arrived at the electoral’s body headquarters in Abuja to receive the Certificate of Return.
Supreme Court had nullified the All progressives Congress victory of November 16 governorship election.
The Supreme Court had ruled that Lyon’s Deputy, Degi Ereminyo, submitted forged certificates that disqualified the joint ticket and nomination.
The court asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to them and reissue the same to the next party with the required constitutional spread.
Yakubu while briefing journalists at the INEC Headquarters confirmed receiving the true certified judgement of the court.
According to him, the commission met on Friday morning to review the results of the election, without the votes of the APC which have been voided by the court.
The total votes cast after excluding those of the APC now stand at 146,999. PDP polled 143,172 and scored 25 percent as required by the law.
As at the time of this report, Senator Diri is in the conference room to receive his certificate of return.
He is accompanied by dozens of his supporters, including some leaders of the PDP.
- Breaking: Armed security officials fire live bullets at thousands of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos
- Flight operations at the Murtala Mohammed Airport suspended
- Nigerian senate asks Buhari to Immediately address citizens #EndSARS
- Breaking: IGP deploys anti-riot policemen nationwide
- Just In: All Progressives Congress leader wants court to shutdown twitter in Nigeria
- Tension as hoodlums set ablaze another police station in Lagos State
- Speaker Gbajabiamila says he will not sign the 2021 Appropriation Bill until … #EndSARS
- Breaking: Lagos Government declares curfew over #EndSARS protests
- Nigerian economy loses N700bn to #EndSARS protests in 12 days
- Just In: 8 killed, 7 others injured in a tanker explosion in Niger State