Estimated Reading Time: <1
The South-East governors, yesterday, disclosed that they would soon name their region’s security outfit which was proposed last year.
They also disclosed that the state houses of assembly in the zone were on the verge of passing laws that will give the outfit legal backing.
Rising from a meeting in Enugu last night, the Governors said they had notified the Federal Government about their plans and would follow it up with details of the mandate of the security outfit.
In a communique read by Chairman of South-East Governors Forum and Governor of Ebonyi State, Chief Dave Umahi, the governors’ said the forum had been inundated with questions on the region’s plans after the South West unveiled Amotokun, stating that the South-East was not in competition with other regions.
Umahi, however, recalled: “The South-East Governors had formed their South East joint security on July 28, 2019, and inaugurated her committee on joint security on August 31, 2019.
“Forum took a briefing from chairman of the South East joint security committee and is satisfied with all the arrangement that will lead to South East State Houses of Assembly to enact a law to back up the South East Security programme with a name to the outfit.”
The governors also reiterated March 31, 2020, as of the date for reopening of Akanu Ibaim International Airport, Enugu to commercial activities. They expressed satisfaction and commended President Muhammadu Buhari for his attention and release of funds for the airport rehabilitation, Second Niger bridge construction and rehabilitation of other federal highways in the zone.
The South-East governors also agreed to commence construction of a ring road to connect South East and South-South zones, in view of the progress being made in Enyimba Economic City.
- Lagos witnessing rise in local transmission of Coronavirus cases since border closure – searching for 2,645 passengers
- Kaduna state Government searching and tracing of 119 contacts of the 5 positive cases recorded
- Breaking: Singer, Naira Marley Arrested and now in custody, Say Lagos state Police Command
- Funke Akindele Bello and husband have been sentenced
- Breaking: Buhari approves withdrawal of $150m from Sovereign Wealth Fund
- Actress, Funke Akindele, and Husband plead guilty, await court’s verdict
- Breaking: Police take Funke Akindele, husband, JJC Skillz, to court for flouting the lockdown order
- “We Have A Bigger Problem Than COVID-19, Which Is Hunger.”- Borno Governor
- 3 Nigerians die of Coronavirus in the US
- “No state should be seen as more important than any other” – Governor Wike thinks FG is playing politics with Coronavirus