Estimated Reading Time: <1
The police in Ogun State have arrested the President of Students’ Union Government (SUG) of the Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro and one other suspect.
Channels Television reports that the suspects identified as Adegboye Emmanuel Olatunji, and Olarewaju Taiwo were arrested on Sunday.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the SUG President and another member of the cult group were arrested wearing the full regalia of the black axe cult during initiation of new members of the group.
“The president of the Students’ Union Government of Federal Polytechnic Ilaro Adegboye Emmanuel Olatunji and one Olarewaju Taiwo have been arrested by men of Ogun State police command on Sunday 9th of February 2020 for cultism.” he said.
Oyeyemi added that the duo were arrested following information received by police at Ilaro division from members of the public that some group of people suspected to be cultists were sighted in a bush at Gbogidi area of Ilaro where they were trying to initiate new members.
“The two arrested cultists who are in full regalia of the dreaded black axe cult group have been taken to custody at Ilaro divisional headquarters where they are being currently interrogated,” he revealed.
In reaction to this arrest, the school authorities on Monday announced the suspension of the SUG President.
Sola Abiola, the deputy registrar public relations of the institution, disclosed this in a statement for alleged involvement in cultism.
She added that this is consequent upon the foiling of a meeting of some cult groups from the neighbouring community, by the security architecture and network of the Polytechnic, the local vigilante group in conjunction with Nigerian Police Force and the Directorate of State Security.
“The suspension of Mr Adegboye is in line with the Act establishing the Polytechnic and the provision of the Students Handbook coupled with the Polytechnic’s zero tolerance to cultism, pending his appearance before the Students Disciplinary Committee to establish his culpability or otherwise” she added.
- Nigerian Army deploys 300 female officers to volatile Abuja-Kaduna highway
- Outrage as Abuja area council charges hotel N500,000 radio and television licence fee
- 3rd Mainland Bridge to be shut for another 3 days – FG
- COVID-19 outbreak in Anambra House of Assembly; plenty cancelled
- NANS support NDLEA’s proposal to administer drug tests to students before admissions
- Nigerians can now register for NIN with Telcos – NIMC
- Electricity: Power sub-stations in Oyo and Ogun States to be completed with N124.2 million – FG
- Federal Executive Council approves N995 Million for road projects
- Governor Seyi Makinde deploys 200 Amotekun operatives in Ibarapa
- House of Representatives promises to pass PIB by April