Estimated Reading Time: <1
Gunmen suspected to be members of the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) have attacked Gurmana, old Gurmana, and Ashirika communities in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.
An eyewitness told Channels Television that the armed men numbering over 100 stormed the communities at about 10:00 am on Saturday, some on bikes and some on feet, shooting sporadically into the air.
He said the attack started in Gurmana where they reportedly killed two people and injured four persons before moving to old Gurmana where they rustled more than 200 cows.
Meanwhile, as at the time of filing this report, the police is yet to confirm the attacks and casualty figures in the communities. But the Senator representing Niger East, Sani Musa confirmed he received reports of the attacks earlier on Saturday.
“My heart is heavy, and I find it really unbelievable that people could just be so ungodly to the point that the sanctity of human life no longer means anything to them. I received the report of the sad and barbaric attacks on my people this morning.
“According to the information I got, armed men dressed in black cloths with their faces covered stormed Gurmana community and other adjoining communities and started shooting sporadically. In the process, two persons were said to have been killed while four are lying in the hospital, critically injured,” he said.
The lawmaker, while commending the security operatives for their renewed efforts at combatting the menace of insecurity in the state, urged them not to relent.
“I call on all security agencies in the state, particularly the troops operating in the erstwhile areas of Shiroro, Munya, Rafi, Paikoro and Mashegu not to rest on their oars in their fight to squash the menace of insecurity in the state. I must also add that, I really commend their efforts,” he stressed.
- Breaking: COVID-19 palliatives “looting” begin in Northern states – gunshots at ex-Speaker Dogara’s house
- Gani Adams says ‘those in power today are a product of protests’
- Bola Tinubu says #Endsars protesters “who suffered casualty” during Lekki massacre had questions to answer
- Abia State Government relaxes curfew
- Gunmen stormed a school in Cameroon, killing at least six children studying in class
- Just In: Kaduna Govt imposes curfew in parts of Chikun and KD South LGAs
- Psychiatric hospital, INEC, NLC, NDDC, WAEC office, Banks torched
- Stan Chu Ilo: Nigeria, a Nation that Kills her Children
- Breaking: Hoodlums set ablaze Nnamdi Azikiwe’s statue ablaze in Anambra
- Breaking: Houses owned by Senator Ndoma Egba, Gershom Bassey looted and burnt in calabar