Estimated Reading Time: <1
Kepa Arrizabalaga was left out of Chelsea’s starting line-up for the Premier League fixture away at Leicester City.
The Spanish goalkeeper was in the XI for the Blues’ last league outing – a 2-2 home draw with Arsenal – but was on the bench for the FA Cup trip to Hull City, with Willy Caballero selected for the 2-1 triumph in the fourth-round tie.
However, while Kepa was expected to come back in to face the Foxes, head coach Frank Lampard opted instead to retain Caballero.
Lampard confirmed ahead of kick-off at the King Power Stadium that it had not been easy to leave out the most expensive keeper in the world, revealing it was a “decision for today”. “With goalkeepers it is a decision you don’t take lightly and you have to look at what it means,” he told the club’s official website.
“They are very close and they work hard together each day but it is one I felt I would make for this game and I trust in Willy, he trains brilliantly and is a great professional. I trust in them both but it is a decision for today.”
Reece James and Tammy Abraham were both fit to start for the visitors, while Antonio Rudiger was in line to play his 100th game for the club. As for third-placed Leicester, Jamie Vardy returned to the starting line-up but Wilfred Ndidi was a late withdrawal, the midfielder forced to drop out of the team after suffering a problem in the warm-ups.
Hamza Choudhury took his place as Brendan Rodgers’ side aimed to move 11 points clear of the team directly below them in the table.
- ‘Sheikh Gumi, others should exercise restraint’ Nigerian Army cautions
- COVID-19 Testing: Nigerian Government threatens to ban flights from UAE, Netherlands
- COVID-19: Ogun State receives 50,000 vaccine doses
- Nigerian students can now work in the UK after schooling; here’s the latest directive
- You promised to free her, Leah Sharibu’s family writes Buhari
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping