Estimated Reading Time: <1
Senator representing Lagos Central Senatorial District at the National Assembly, Oluremi Tinubu, has recommended the creation of state police to tackle Nigeria’s security challenge.
She gave the suggestion during the Senate plenary on Wednesday. According to her, states that are capable of having state police should be given permission to do so.
She however did not comment on Operation Amotekun – a security outfit for the South Western region created as a result of consistent insecurities facing the region.
Amotekun is a collective initiative by the South-West Governors, namely; Dr Kayode Fayemi(Ekiti), Arakunrin Rotimi Akeredolu (Ondo), Engr. Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Prince Dapo Abiodun(Ogun), Chief Isiaka Oyetola (Osun) and Mr Babajide Sanwoolu (Lagos).
Tinubu said, “If we really want to tackle our insecurity correctly, we should look at state police. I believe in you – Senate President – to do it this time.
“I have seen what insecurity has meted out to Nigerians and the vulnerable group in particular-women and children. State policing: if we want to go there, we should allow states that are ready.”
Senator Tolu Odebiyi added, “The issue of security cannot be taken in isolation. I support the need to consider a security architecture that is homegrown.”
“State police is not compulsory for every state, those who do not want it do not have to panic. Our people also feel our service chiefs have stayed for too long,” Senator Bamidele Opeyemi.
“The creation of state police will take care of little security outfits that have been set up. It will also lead to the generation of employment,” Senator Solomon Adeola said.
- Why we arrested Salihu Tanko-Yakasai – DSS Reveals
- Terrorists have resumed operations in Kagara, kill four
- PDP Condemns arrest of Salihu Tanko Yakasai, by the Department of State Services
- Group demands the release of Salihu Yakasai, abducted for criticising the President
- Abduction Scare: Kano State Governor orders the closure of four tertiary institutions in the state
- Northern Elders Forum says Nigerians have lost faith in the Federal Government
- Governor Ganduje has sacked Salihu Tanko Yakasai
- Police arrest Ogun deputy speaker for alleged assault
- Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele says the naira has depreciated
- Breaking: Abducted Kagara Science College boys reportedly Released