Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Kano State Police Command have uncovered an illegal orphanage home suspected to be involved in child trafficking and rescued 27 children alleged to have been kidnapped or born for trafficking from the home known as Du Merci orphanage, Channels Television reports.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Abdullahi Haruna confirmed to Channels Television that a self-acclaim professor, Solomon Tafa who operates the home has been arrested.
“We were able to rescue nine children here, after the arrest; he was not able to present any document that shows how these children are being sourced.”
DSP Haruna also revealed that the suspect, Tafa, works alongside a hospital that helps him take care of the pregnant women before and after delivery.
“He procures pregnant women, gives them all the necessary ante-natal attention and care. After delivery, he then hands over the newly born babies to the owner of the orphanage home.”
The suspect, Mr. Tafa claimed that his orphanage home is duly registered and the authorities in Kano state are aware of its existence since 1996 when they started operation.
“We are registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) with 10 boards of trustees that are the Directors.
“We have been running the home since 1992, but officially opened in 1996. I’m registered with Women affairs and social development and the children are from many sources,” he claimed.
Meanwhile, No fewer than two people were killed and others sustained various degrees of injuries in a fresh attack on Friday night by gunmen in Gora Dan village of Zango-Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
- Nigeria to review her foreign policy in order to reflect current realities
- “‘Indictment’ reinforces our position that the EFCC, under his watch, has been a huge scam” – PDP on Ibrahim Magu
- Ose Anenih: Change and the Institutionalisation of Corruption
- Imo Governor queries IMSU VC over non-payment of staff salaries
- FG cancels resumption of schools, withdraws unity schools from 2020 WASSCE
- PHOTOS: Domestic flights resume in Nigeria’s airports
- Airborne transmission of COVID-19 cannot be ruled out says WHO
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike