Estimated Reading Time:
Suspected armed bandits on Thursday killed fourteen people in an attack on Babban Rafi village in Gwalli District of Gummi local government area of Zamfara state according to Daily Trust Newspaper reports.
A resident of Barikin Daji village, who craved anonymity, told Daily Trust that the armed men arrived at the village on about 43 motorbikes when people were taking their breakfast around 9am.
“When they laid siege on the village, the gunmen asked residents to stay indoors. They started going from house to house collecting mobile phones, money and other valuables. They told the residents that they were heading to Babban Rafi village on Jihad mission.
“Unknown to them that one of the residents had escaped their siege and went to inform other people of Babban Rafi that armed men were coming to attack the community. The timely information had helped dozens of them to escape by fleeing the village even before they had arrived.
“They killed at least 13 people there and made away with herds of cattle and other domestic animals. They told the residents that they had come for Jihad and that any resistance would be very calamitous on the entire community,” he added.
The spokesman of the state’s Police command, SP Muhammad Shehu, said a large number of armed bandits suspected to have come from neighbouring Kebbi state stormed the village firing at residents. “Combined teams of PMF/CTU/ FSARS attached to “Operation Puff Adder” in conjunction with Men from
“Operation Hadarin Daji” were mobilized to the area with a view to trailing the perpetrators for arrest and to also avoid further attack on neighbouring villages,” he said.
He said discreet investigation would be conducted to unravel the circumstances surrounding this dastardly act. Zamfara state government had struck a peace deal with local militia groups Yansakai, armed bandits and other warring groups in June last year, a development that led to the return of peace and stability in the state and its environs.
The police command said despite the return of peace, the command in collaboration with other security agencies are aware of some recalcitrant bandits who refused to tow the line of peace, adding however that such recalcitrant bandits are being dealt with.
The state’s Commissioner of Police, Mr Usman Nagogo, condoled with the families of the deceased and assured that “the command would arrest the perpetrators of this bizarre crime so as to face the full wrath of the law.”
The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Massacre: Armed men from Kebbi, storm Zamfara community with 43 motorbikes firing at residents, scores killed and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.
- Senate says Nigeria needs N400Billion annually for road maintenance
- Former Governor, Donald Duke says insurgents get their weapons from security operatives
- US President-elect Joe Biden announces all-female senior press team
- PDP Condemns the beheading of farmers in Zabarmari, Borno state by Boko Haram terrorists
- Here’s why Nigerians are to pay N4,000 monthly – Presidency
- Mai Mala Buni, Governor of Yobe, spends at least three days in his state
- Update: 110 civilians were killed by Boko Haram in the attack on a rice field in Borno State
- I’ve realized my mistakes: – Senator representing Borno, Ali Ndume, now knows the value of Ex-President Godluck Jonathan
- Breaking: Nigeria’s national electricity grid has collapsed
- Robbers attacked Ogun church, beat members to stupor, and kidnapped