Estimated Reading Time: <1
Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai says he will not release the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, (IMN), Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, due to the pains the sect leader and his supporters had caused the people of Kaduna State for over 30 years before he was arrested.
DailyTrust Newspaper reports that, El-Rufai who spoke at a live radio interview on Friday, explained that the fate of the IMN leader does not lie with the Kaduna State Government but with the courts.
He said what the Federal Government meant when it said El-Zakzaky’s fate lies with the Kaduna State Government is that it was not the one currently in court with the IMN leader.
The Governor explained that after the IMN leader was arrested and detained by the Federal Government in 2015, the Kaduna State Government recalling the many alleged offences of the IMN leader and his supporters against the people and government for over 30 years, undertook an investigation that looked into their alleged disregard for laws, harassment of other citizens right from when they were in Zaria City till they moved to the Gellesu Quarters.
IMN members have always denied any wrongdoing and instead accused government of launching unprovoked attacks against their members. He said it was when investigations were concluded that the Kaduna government based on its findings requested the federal government to release him to it so it could seek legal redress.
- Borno Governor speaks about ambush of his convoy that left police officers and soldiers dead
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Nigeria at 60- The colonialists never left; they are Nigerian politicians
- Demola Olarewaju joins TStv as Head of Corporate Affairs
- Ondo 2020: INEC says electoral materials will arrive Akure October 5
- Passengers missing as truck plunges into river in Lagos
- Breaking: Nigerian Government to reform ticketing process in response to NewsWireNGR Investigation on Abuja-Kaduna rail
- Breaking: Barely 48 hours after tanker accident, an electronic shop in Lokoja, razed in a midnight fire
- House of Representatives ready for e-parliament, says Speaker Gbajabiamila
- ‘God is not happy with us’ Aisha Buhari asks Nigerians to pray
- Buhari renews appointments of PTDF, PEF, NCDMB chief executives