Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ismaila Isa Funtua, an associate of President Muhammadu Buhari, says the south-east must review its ways of playing politics in order to get the presidency.
Funtua said this on Saturday when he appeared on The Morning Show, a programme on Arise Television.
He said Moshood Abiola, presumed winner of the 1993 presidential poll, was able to defeat Bashir Tofa in Kano, his state, because “he embraced everybody.”
“They should belong. They should join the party. They want to do things on their own and because they are Igbo, we should dash them the president? That was the reason I said is it turn by turn Nigeria Limited?” Funtua said.
“You’re talking of politics, which is an issue of votes. My very good friend of blessed memory, MKO Abiola defeated Bashir Tofa in Kano. Was MKO Abiola from Kano? But he defeated Bashir in his own town Kano. Why? Because the man played politics, he embraced everybody.
“If you send him an invitation for anything, if he is not there, his representative will be there and he will play his part. You cannot sit down and say because you’re an Ibo man, there is no fairness.
“With due respect to the Igbo, they fail to understand that when the south-west chose to remain on their own as opposition, they did not go near the power. To a large extent, the north in terms of religion and culture are closer to the south-west than to the south-east. When Ekwueme contested (for the PDP ticket), Chief Olusegun Obasanjo defeated him.
“I know Nigerian politics, you chose your candidate who will be able to bring votes to you to win election, not on regional basis, not on tribal basis. Is he going to be the president of the North, East, South-west, South-south or whatever?
- I prayed Nigeria will not see peace because Buhari denied Rivers State security – Wike
- Breaking: Last minute decision as NAFDAC certifies #AstraZeneca vaccine
- Nigeria begins COVID-19 vaccinations
- Air Commodore Gabkwet appointed Airforce spokesman
- It will cost N35Billion to provide internet services to MDAs in Nigeria – Agency
- Violence in Kwara: Governor imposes fresh curfews in Offa, Erin-Ile
- Drug lords responsible for funding terrorism in Nigeria – Senate President
- Police arrest man who stabbed wife to death
- I can count 187 times President Buhari has said he will end banditry without results – Fayose
- ‘Amotekun will be deployed to protect COVID-19 vaccines in Ogun’ says Governor Dapo Abiodun