Estimated Reading Time: <1
The U.S. killed Iranian general, Qassem Soleimani, in a “defensive action,” the Pentagon says.
“At the direction of the President, the U.S. military has taken decisive defensive action to protect U.S. personnel abroad by killing Qassem Soleimani,” the Pentagon statement says.
The Pentagon says Soleimani was “actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.”
“General Soleimani also approved the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad that took place this week,” the statement continues.
The U.S. also held Soleimani and his Quds Force responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members.
It also said he “orchestrated” a rocket attack on December 27, which killed an American. (dpa/NAN)
- Fredrick Nwabufo: The injurious lies in Buhari’s Independence Day speech
- Protesters besiege the US embassy Abuja, demands Buhari’s resignation
- “Governance is not magic” – Babatunde Fashola says Nigerians are looking for results in the wrong place
- “It makes no sense for oil to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia” – Buhari
- Just In: No fewer than 20 #RevolutionNow protesters arrested in Lagos
- Cheta Nwanze: Between the bar and the bench
- Tinubu says Lagos is an example of the success story of Nigeria
- Nigeria At 60: Let the Nigerian youth keep sleeping
- Nigeria’s diversity can be built on, to become a source of strength – CDD
- Nigeria@60: Full text of President Buhari’s Independence Anniversary Speech