Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Otukpo, Benue State residence of a former President of the Senate, David Mark, was on Thursday gutted by fire.
Punch Newspaper reports that the house is located in the GRA area of the town.
The fire, according to workers in the compound, started from a nearby bush near the fence of the guest house and burnt two ambulances and over 15 motorcycles to ashes.
Some of the workers, who spoke to journalists on condition of anonymity, said the fire spread so fast and ignited some empty cartons in which some of the motorcycles were assembled.
They were said to have made frantic efforts to extinguish the fire but to no avail.
According to one of the workers, it was after desperate efforts to extinguish the fire failed that the Benue State Fire Service’s station in Otukpo was contacted.
“We made efforts to quench the fire but the more we tried, the more it continued to spread. It was when we noticed that we could not stop it that we called the fire service so that the inferno would not consume the guest house,” the worker said.
Efforts to get reactions from Mark’s family members proved abortive as none of them was willing to talk.
The former Senate President was said to be out of town as of the time the incident occurred.
One of his aides, Adakoke Elijah, who confirmed the incident, stated, “Earlier this morning (Thursday), a fire incident was reported in the Otukpo residence of the former Senate President, Dr David Mark.
“The cause of the incident has yet to be ascertained but some properties, including 15 motorcycles and two vehicles, were burnt.
“The arrival of fire service personnel prevented the inferno from spreading to the entire building.
“The fire has since been extinguished. No life was lost.”
- Violence in Kwara: Governor imposes fresh curfews in Offa, Erin-Ile
- Drug lords responsible for funding terrorism in Nigeria – Senate President
- Police arrest man who stabbed wife to death
- I can count 187 times President Buhari has said he will end banditry without results – Fayose
- ‘Amotekun will be deployed to protect COVID-19 vaccines in Ogun’ says Governor Dapo Abiodun
- Shortly after the release of school girls, terrorists abduct over 60 – burn Zamfara town
- Ogun State deputy speaker impeached over thuggery allegations
- Federal Government says States that have not met the criteria for vaccine safety will not get doses
- Just in: Buhari, Osinbajo to be publicly vaccinated on Saturday
- Jangebe schoolgirls: Reunion turns violent as security operatives shoot protesters