Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Senator representing Osun East Senatorial District, Francis Fadahunsi has alleged that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Muhammed is the mastermind behind the hate speech bill.
Senator Fadahunsi said the hate speech bill was aimed at crippling quality journalism.
Vanguard Newspaper reports that Fadahunsi who was speaking with Journalists at the weekend disclosed that the bill was targeted at vibrant journalism, which has become the bedrock of the country’s democracy in the last two decades.
He said media practitioners all over the country must rise against the bill with a view to making sure it is crushed no matter the form it takes and the number of times it is introduced in the National Assembly.
The former customs officer reiterated that the media has been a critical stakeholder in the nation’s democratic experience and must be allowed to thrive irrespective of the shortcomings in the polity.
He wondered that no one accused the media of hate speech when it was fighting the military to enthrone democracy and when it was holding previous administration to account for its perceived inadequacies, saying it is surprising that an administration that ride to power on the vibrancy of the media is now accusing it of hate speech.
“It is important for all stakeholders in the country to stand against the hate speech bill because it is aimed at shutting the vibrancy of the media. I would not support such a bill as the media is now the most critical stakeholder in our democratic experience so far.
Senator Sabi Abdullahi only front for the bill, it actually originated from the Executive, specifically, Lai Muhammed and the sole motive is just to box the media into a corner, where it would no longer have the vibrancy to question those in public offices.
Every lover of democracy and rule of law must ensure that the hate speech is crushed no matter how it is introduced and the number of times it resurfaces in the National Assembly”, he added.
Speaking on the issue of arms smuggling, Fadahunsi said the problem the country has, especially with big weapons, is internal.
He said over 10,000 soldiers at the war front have deserted the war with lots of AK47s, automatic pistols and the likes which they sold to willing buyers before settling down into businesses for survival.
- PDP says the prophecy that the APC and its leaders will be stoned for failure has come to pass
- Breaking: Gunmen Kill First Class Traditional Ruler
- #EndSARS: Feminist Coalition website suffers suspected cyberattack
- APC chairman formally receives Senator found guilty of assault, into the party
- ‘Northern Nigeria is the worst place to live in this country’ – Sultan Of Sokoto laments
- Twitter Lawsuit: “We got notice for the hearing late” Adamu Garba explains absence from court
- Mahmood Yakubu asks National Assembly to pass amended electoral act before Q1 2021
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving