Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum has accused the Lagos State Government of humiliating and carrying out indiscriminate arrest of northerners in Lagos.
The group accused officials of the Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences of harassing commercial motorcyclists who were mainly northerners.
The AYCF in a statement issued on Monday by its President, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, said the task force had been invading homes of northerners and taking away their motorcycles, warning that this might spark reprisals against southerners in the North.
“We reliably gathered that using Gestapo style, the Lagos Task Force officials have been invading homes of northerners in Lagos in ungodly hours of the night and carting away motorcycles while forcefully abducting the occupants and hauling them into detention”, the group said.
“We dare say we have not seen this kind of impunity against northerners in recent years. It is even strange that this is coming from the South-West, a zone that expects the North to hand over the Presidency to it in 2023.”
Shettima asked the Lagos State Government and the task force to explain the legal and constitutional basis for their action.
“We are deeply disturbed by this rather uncivilised conduct in the 21st century, happening in a supposedly cosmopolitan city like Lagos.”
- Oyo State Government to reopen schools on Monday 26th October
- IPOB says it will resume peaceful protests on Monday
- Return stolen property in 72 hours or face prosecution; Osun Governor warns looters
- South-West Governors, ministers visit Sanwo-Olu to sympathise
- Breaking: NECO suspends ongoing examination indefinitely
- Cross River Governor, Ayade orders police to carry out house-to-house search for looted properties
- Breaking: Lets us pray for Nigeria – Pope Francis begs christians
- Niger Delta militants threaten mayhem; roll out 11-point demand
- Food looted from Kaduna warehouses are poisonous; The state government warns
- Looted Palliatives: It is now clear that Buhari is not Nigeria’s problem; says Zahra Buhari-Indimi