Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari last night returned from his private visit to London, the United Kingdom.
The President was supposed to return to Nigeria on November 17, according to the statement issued from his media office when he left Nigeria for an official visit to Saudi Arabia, before the commencement of his private visit, he has however cut short the visit by two days.
It is however, not clear why he had to return home, but the presidential aircraft conveying the president and few of his aides landed at the Presidential Wing of Nnamdi Azikiwe airport at about 9.40 pm.
The Nigerian leader was received by his Chief of Staff, Malam Abba Kyari, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Malam Muhammed Bello and some heads of security agencies as well as presidential aides.
Two states are conducting elections today, Bayelsa and Kogi States and President Muhammadu Buhari has advised governorship candidates in both states to accept the outcome of the poll.
The president in a series of tweet on Thursday, November 14, 2019, urged voters in Bayelsa and Kogi to exercise their franchise in line with the laws of the country.
In the meantime, the Nigeria Police Force says 66,241 policemen will provide security in Saturday’s Kogi and Bayelsa governorship elections.
Out of that number, 35,200 would be deployed in Kogi State while 31,041 would be drafted to Bayelsa State, said the police.
Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Operations in Kogi and Bayelsa, Abdulmajid Ali, in Lokoja, on Thursday, said the policemen would be complemented by the police mobile force, special protection unit, and counter-terrorism unit and other security outfits.
According to Ali, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, also ordered the posting of deputy inspectors general of police (DIGs), AIGs, CPs, DCPs, and ACPs to all senatorial districts and local government areas within the two states, explaining that the heavy deployment of cops for the election was not to intimidate voters but to make the elections free and safe.
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom has not received any financial assistance from FG – Gov Udom Emmanuel
- 24 hours after Ayade’s ‘party’ to celebrate zero COVID-19, UCTH announce 5 positive cases
- Ondo State Governor’s wife, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, aide test positive for COVID-19
- NUJ wants Ondo Governor to declare 14 days lockdown
- Nigeria’s debt portfolio of has risen to N28.63tn