Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party has announced Senate President Bukola Saraki the head of its presidential campaign efforts.
Mr Saraki’s official position as the director-general of the Atiku Abubakar Presidential Campaign Organisation was disclosed on Tuesday by Kola Ologbondiyan, the party’s spokesperson.
The former Vice President, Abubakar was elected the presidential candidate of the main opposition party at its national convention in Port Harcourt earlier this month.
Saraki was amongst the 11 other aspirants who challenged Mr Abubakar for the ticket. All the aspirants have pledged support to Mr Abubakar, after deeming the exercise peaceful and transparent.
The senate president would work with six others who would coordinate the six geopolitical zones, including three other former contenders for the presidential ticket.
The zonal coordinators were announced as follows: Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal (North-west); Ebonyi State Governor David Umahi (South-East); Gombe State Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo (North-east); Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike (South-south); Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom (North-central) and former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose would lead South-west push.
Kabiru Turaki, a senior lawyer and former minister, would chair legal matters; while Akwa Ibom State Governor Udom Emmanuel would chair fund-raising committee.
Messrs Turaki, Dankwambo and Tambuwal all unsuccessfully vied for the presidential ticket against Mr Atiku.
Other key appointments into the campaign structure would be disclosed soon, Mr Ologbondiyan said.
- Enugu airport will reopen August 30
- Goodluck Jonathan appointed ECOWAS apecial envoy to Mali
- Lagos lawmakers directed to undergo COVID-19 test
- American woman rescued after being held by Nigerian facebook lover for more than a year
- House propose 5-year ban from partisan politics for ex-electoral officials
- National Assembly will engage security agencies to prevent killings in Kaduna – Lawan
- Pope Francis appoints the auxiliary bishop of Onitsha Archdiocese, into Pontifical Council
- House of Reps endorse Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for World Trade Organisation DG
- Nigerian Army has approved new postings and appointments of 37 generals and five colonels
- FG Kicks off 774,000 Jobs programme suspended by the national assembly