Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party has announced Senate President Bukola Saraki the head of its presidential campaign efforts.
Mr Saraki’s official position as the director-general of the Atiku Abubakar Presidential Campaign Organisation was disclosed on Tuesday by Kola Ologbondiyan, the party’s spokesperson.
The former Vice President, Abubakar was elected the presidential candidate of the main opposition party at its national convention in Port Harcourt earlier this month.
Saraki was amongst the 11 other aspirants who challenged Mr Abubakar for the ticket. All the aspirants have pledged support to Mr Abubakar, after deeming the exercise peaceful and transparent.
The senate president would work with six others who would coordinate the six geopolitical zones, including three other former contenders for the presidential ticket.
The zonal coordinators were announced as follows: Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal (North-west); Ebonyi State Governor David Umahi (South-East); Gombe State Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo (North-east); Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike (South-south); Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom (North-central) and former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose would lead South-west push.
Kabiru Turaki, a senior lawyer and former minister, would chair legal matters; while Akwa Ibom State Governor Udom Emmanuel would chair fund-raising committee.
Messrs Turaki, Dankwambo and Tambuwal all unsuccessfully vied for the presidential ticket against Mr Atiku.
Other key appointments into the campaign structure would be disclosed soon, Mr Ologbondiyan said.
- Nigerian Army says Lagos state government invited it to intervene in #EndSARS protest
- Nigeria declares public holiday for Eid-El-Maulud Celebration
- Buhari re-appoints INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu for another 5-year-term
- We must regulate social media – Nigerian govt insists making reference to #EndSARS protests
- 2 years after, judge throws out case against 57 Lagos men accused of homosexuality
- #EndSARS Protest: Finding a Pathway to Sustainable Peace and Development
- Supreme Court struck out a suit over disputed Soku oilfield – here’s why
- Breaking: Lagos govt approves reopening of markets across the state
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Does the FCT have a minister?
- Breaking: Long queues of petrol return to filling stations in Abuja