Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has written the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to demand an urgent placement of Ekiti State governor on criminal watch list.
The anti-graft agency said in the September 12 letter that Ayo Fayose poses a flight risk and may leave the country via land borders, airports or even seaports.
Mr Fayose will complete his second four-year term as Ekiti governor on October 16.
Ibrahim Magu, acting chairman of the EFCC, told the Customs headquarters in Abuja Mr Fayose is under probe for conspiracy, abuse of office, official corruption, theft and money laundering.
The NCS consequently notified all its commands and formations across the country of the request and recommended immediate and strict compliance in a September 14 memo.
Aware of the moves by EFCC, Mr Fayose released a statement Sunday evening, ridiculing the agency as being wayward and reiterating his firm opposition to the Buhari administration.
“EFCC, when a woman is being brought to you as a wife, you don’t have to peep through the window to see her.
“As I said in my letter, Insha Allah, I will be in your office on October 16, a day after the expiration of my tenure.
“EFCC putting my name on watch list after notification of my coming is not only political but petty. I’m not among those who are afraid to face tomorrow. Nobody is God.
“They should expect me on October 16, 2018.
“I will remain in PDP not minding their intimidation,” Mr Fayose said.
- “No one should say shit about Ganduje” – Fatima, Kano Governors daughter defends her father #EdoDecides2020
- UK Congratulates Governor Obaseki, Commends Electoral process
- APC rejects Edo Governorship election #EdoDecides2020
- “My supporters endured evils”- APC Candidate Ize-Iyamu breaks silence #EdoDecides2020
- My commitment to free and fair elections is firm – President Buhari Congratulates Obaseki
- Edo has decided; Godwin Obaseki reelected as Governor
- @inecnigeria declares Godwin Obaseki of the People’s Democratic Party winner of the 2020 Edo governorship election
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Enter Nyesom Wike; Obaseki’s new Godfather
- @SERAP wants Buhari to jettison the proposed amendment to the act establishing EFCC
- Breaking: Governor Godwin Obaseki wins Ize-Iyamu’s LGA