Estimated Reading Time: <1
There are reports that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has picked the nomination form to return to the House on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Reliable sources at the Secretariat of the PDP confirmed the news to Channels Television.
The news is coming one day after the Speaker announced his intention to seek re-election into the National Assembly, having served for 12 years.
Dogara had told his constituents during a rally at his residence in Abuja on Tuesday that he was encouraged to seek a return to the House by their overwhelming demand, although he did not say under which party he will be running.
The Speaker’s political future has been a subject of speculation following a gale of defections that trailed the ruling party.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Governors of Benue and Sokoto states, Samuel Ortom and Aminu Tambuwal, as well as some Senators and House of Representatives members, announced their exit from the ruling party within a spate of days.
- Governor Ayade swears in 3rd acting chief judge in 11 months, as lawyers protest
- #EndSARS protests: Lagos considers closure of schools
- Leave the road and let’s talk; Sanwo-Olu begs #EndSARS protesters
- 181 students, staff test positive for COVID-19 in Lagos private school
- Breaking: Another Prison attacked and inmates freed in Edo
- Nigerian lawmaker backs #EndSARS protesters
- Just In: Defence minister warns protesters against undermining National Security #EndSARS
- “The ongoing protests show that there is hidden agenda, APC on #EndSARS
- Protesters block airport road as Soldiers take over #EndSARS locations in Abuja
- Breaking: Edo State Government declares 24-hour curfew #EndSARS