Estimated Reading Time: <1
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Wednesday confirmed that 54 persons were killed by suspected cattle rustlers in Bawar Daji District, Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara state last week Wednesday.
The agency also confirmed that a woman and her child were among those who lost their lives during the attacks.
The agency which disclosed this based on-the-spot assessment conducted by staff recorded 71 persons injured with over 7000 displaced persons.
NEMA said the attacks affected places like Baudi, Tungan Turkish, Doka, Zanoka, Akuzo and Dogon Ruwa.
“About 30 houses and other essential commodities were razed, also 1000 cattle were carted away by men of the underworld,” the agency said.
The head, Nema Sokoto Operations, Suleiman Muhammad, who led other staff of the agency on the assessment said government delegations sent to the area had to suspend their visit due to security challenges.
Displaced persons, mostly women and children, are currently taking refuge in neighbouring Hayin Dan Bawa, Anka and Gusau, capital of Zamfara.
The agency is expected to prepare a comprehensive report to be forwarded to the federal government for necessary action.
- Opinion: The price of under-policing in Nigeria
- Candidate in the NBA elections, Dele Adesina, seeks election cancellation
- Just In: Ekiti workers suspend warning strike
- ‘Oshiomhole seeking the third term as a governor’ by proxy – Edo State Deputy Governor
- Oyewole Michael: One year after, will Dadiyata ever be found?
- NDDC Management denies fresh corruption allegations in new statement
- Lagos Chamber of Commerce says NIPOST guidelines must be removed
- WAEC is deliberately creating a wedge between young Muslims and the mosque says MURIC
- After 15 years, Shoprite considers ending its Nigeria operations
- In Ogun state, parents reject N25,000 COVID-19 test levy for returning students