Estimated Reading Time: <1
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state has advised the people of the state to adopt any lawful means to defend themselves from bloodthirsty herdsmen attacking parts of the state.
He lamented that the call became necessary because the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris who should enforce security and safety of the people was playing politics with the unending killings in the state.
The Governor who spoke Tuesday during a live Phone-in Benue Radio Programme, Issues of the Moment, monitored in Makurdi, accused the Inspector General of Police of becoming the mouthpiece of the murderers of the Benue people, Vanguard Newspaper reports.
Governor Ortom said, “The Police said they arrested Livestock Guard members and termed them a militia group from Benue. It’s just a diversion from the main issue. “If you want to hang a dog you give it a bad name. That is what the Inspector General of Police is doing, he is the mouthpiece of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore. That is what the man represents. He should therefore resign his current position to serve full time in his new job. “So bad, they plant weapons on people and take their pictures and claim they are Benue Livestock Guards. Those people are not members of our Livestock Guard. It is just a planned thing. “The fact is that I am facing a lot of intimidation and blackmail but I am firm and strong because I have trust in God.
“There are threats even on my life, they are on record that I reported to the Police and those people responsible have not been arrested. “People say they are going to kill the Governor, is that not grievous enough to arrest the people concerned? “Miyetti came out and owned up and threatened that bloodshed will continue in Benue. Is it not enough evidence for the Inspector General of Police to arrest one person out of the group?
- Breaking: Hoodlums set ablaze Nnamdi Azikiwe’s statue ablaze in Anambra
- Breaking: Houses owned by Senator Ndoma Egba, Gershom Bassey looted and burnt in calabar
- Afenifere and Ohaneze Ndigbo beg thugs to cease looting #EndSARS
- Osun State Government revokes suspended curfew, declares another 24 hour lockdown
- Angry mob invade and rob senator’s residence in Ibadan
- Fredrick Nwabufo: ‘Hoodlums’ – the new title for hired thugs and unknown soldiers
- US considers visa restriction on officials culpable in the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza
- Oyigbo town has become IPOB’s main operational base in Rivers State – Governor Wike
- #EndSARS: Super Eagles’ John Ogu ask players to boycott games
- Wizkid announced as new face of Puma sportswear