Estimated Reading Time: <1
Despite yesterdays raid of major communities in Yobe and Borno, President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday reiterated his administration’s stance that the Boko Haram terror group has been defeated.
The president spoke in his New Year broadcast to Nigerians on Monday.
“We have since beaten Boko Haram,” he said.
He, however, said he was aware there were still “isolated” attacks by the terror group.
“Isolated attacks still occur, but even the best-policed countries cannot prevent determined criminals from committing terrible acts of terror as we have seen during the past years in Europe, Asia, Middle East, elsewhere in Africa and in America,” he said.
The president’s repeated stance on defeating the terror group has drawn criticisms from critics who argue that Boko Haram is still able to carry out attacks at will on civilian and security targets.
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law
- Social Media Bill and Hate Speech Bill – Drop Them Now!