Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari has signed six bills into law.
The bills are Niger Delta Development Commission (Establishment) Amendment Act, 2017, Federal Capital Territory Water Board (Establishment) Act, 2017, National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (Establishment) Act, 2017, Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act, 2017, Anti-Torture Act, 2017 and Federal Capital Appropriation Act 2017.
The NDDC act includes the gas producing and gas processing companies in the list of agencies that are contributing to the commission. This is in addition to funds the oil companies are providing.
The National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (establishment) Act, 2017 is to provide national direction in cancer research, control and treatment; guide scientific improvements to cancer prevention, treatment and care, coordinate and liaise between the wide range of groups and health care providers with an interest in cancer.
The Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act, 2017 provides for the compulsory treatment and care for victims of gunshots and for related matters.
Specifically, the act stipulates that a person with a gunshot wound shall be received for immediate and adequate treatment by any hospital in Nigeria with or without an initial monetary deposit. It also states that a person with a gunshot wound shall not be subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment or torture by any person or authority, including the police and other security agencies.
The Anti-Torture Act, 2017 makes comprehensive provisions for penalising the acts of torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment or punishment, and prescribes penalties for the commission of such acts.
The Federal Capital Territory Water Board is charged with the responsibility for providing safe, adequate and affordable water supply services to the residents of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
- NFF cancels 2019/2020 league season
- Just In: Ibrahim Magu asks IGP for bail
- NEMA warns of flood in 102 local government areas in Nigeria
- “Nigeria’s crude oil production quota has been reduced” – Read Buhari’s complete speech at signing of revised 2020 Appropriation Bill
- Ondo Chief Justice rejects House of Assembly’s move to impeach deputy Governor
- Minister, Godswill Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects
- Kiki Osinbajo responds to allegations of N800m property ownership
- Breaking: APC Chairman resigns in Ondo, joins PDP
- Buhari appoints Mohammed Umar as acting chairman of the EFCC
- President Buhari signs revised N10.8trn 2020 budget into law