Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former president, Goodluck Jonathan called for Nigerians to show restraint.
He called on Nigerian elites to sue for peaceful coexistence, adding that all Nigerians ought to be treated with respect irrespective of their ethnicity.
Although Jonathan did not make any particular reference to the clashes between what has now been declared a terrorist group, the Indigenous People Of Biafra, IPOB, and the Nigerian Army in Abia state, he said “We must be resolute as a people even as we know that it is impossible to deny the brotherhood of all Nigerians after over a century of a shared commonwealth.”
According to reports in the media, the clashes between IPOB and the army have spilled over, building tensions in some northern states.
See the statement below.
The reports I have received about recent developments in the country lead me to appeal to all men of good will to use whatever influence they have to push for peaceful coexistence and restraint on all sides.
Perhaps it is time for the Council of State to intervene and offer its wise counsel.
Irrespective of whatever provocation, Nigerians must never turn on each other.
Even in the face of difficult circumstances, we must have faith that God in His infinite wisdom will guide us to finding a way out that is fair and just to all concerned.
In as much as there may be a need to enforce order, there is a greater need to reinforce our humanity and treat Nigerian citizens humanely whether they be from the North or South.
Nothing justifies the desecration and destruction of religious places of worship or a police station. But even more so, nothing justifies the endangering of human life.
Let us exchange ideas instead of exchanging insults and threats. Nigeria is going through tough times because God wants us to grow through tough times.
We must be resolute as a people even as we know that it is impossible to deny the brotherhood of all Nigerians after over a century of a shared commonwealth. GEJ.
- Edo election marred by votes buying – Observer group, CDD alleges #EdoDecides2020
- “The people of Edo state have spoken loud and clear” – PDP alleges plot by APC to replace election results in Edo North #EdoDecides2020
- “People of Edo, you’ve done well” – Peter Obi tells Edo Voters to remain vigilant #EdoDecides2020
- President Buhari sympathises with Ebonyi State following Akaeze-Ukwu River tragedy
- “We must not lose our guards” – Atiku Abubakar tells Edo voters #EdoDecides2020
- Bukola Saraki, former senate president, has asked voters in Edo state to protect their votes
- APC candidate Ize-Iyamu wins polling unit #EdoDecides2020
- Governor Godwin Obaseki wins polling unit, defeated APC in Oyegun’s polling unit
- Ibadan polytechnic fires lecturer – here’s why
- “Godwin Obaseki, led thugs pretending to be his supporters” – APC says the PDP instigating violence #EdoDecides2020