Estimated Reading Time: <1
Police in Kano have said that 10 to 15 cases of rape are being recorded in the state every day.
Head of sexual and other related offences unit of Shahuchi Police Station, DSP Jemimah Ayuba, said this while addressing journalists after a one-day awareness campaign organised by the Public Defenders’ Office (PDO) in Kano.
She said the most painful aspect was that most of the victims were minors, while the culprits were adults.
She said, “We have received complicated rape cases at this station. We have a case where a father raped his three biological daughters. We have also arrested a rapist that raped a six months’ old baby.”
She added that the major causes of rape in the state included broken homes, street hawking, parental negligence or death, and turning minors into house maids.
DSP Jemimah urged parents to always be mindful of who mingled with their wards.”
The state coordinator of the Public Defenders’ Office, Barbra Maigari, said the PDO was in Kano to offer free legal services to the less privileged, who could not afford to pursue their rights in the court of law.
- Hamzat Lawal listed as a Global Malala Fund Education Champion
- Former AGF, Mohammed Adoke pleads not guilty to money laundering charges
- $500 Million loan: China has no plan to take over Nigeria’s sovereignty – Chinese Government
- NIPOST, FIRS in inter-agency tweetfight over Stamp Duties
- We did not spend N13 billion on school feeding programme – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- State commissioner allegedly assaulted in Cross River over sharing of palliatives
- Alleged N41 Billion Fraud: Tony Elumelu denies allegations, demands apology
- Ondo government spends over N13 billion on workers allowances
- Ogun state government makes COVID-19 test free for returning students
- Planned protest by the Trade Union Congress, ill-advised – Presidency