Estimated Reading Time: <1
President Muhammadu Buhari may effect a cabinet reshuffle at Wednesday’s federal executive council meeting.
The expected development would see some ministers booted out of the federal cabinet.
This may not be unconnected with the recent declaration by the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Senator Aisha Alhassan (Mama Taraba) that her loyalty lies with her “godfather” and former vice president, Atiku Abubakar.
Atiku, who recently said he was sidelined by the party after the 2015 general elections, said Alhassan’s declaration “couldn’t have been said any better”.
Atiku insisted that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is a coalition and that appointees have the right to keep their allegiance with whosoever they please.
Atiku, recently elevated to the Waziri of Adamawa, disclosed that even other Ministers in the cabinet have different views and opinions as regard the 2019 presidential election.
But indications emerged at the weekend that Buhari may strike back in a few days.
Although the president was said to have been contemplating a rejig of his cabinet, the “outright sack of ministers was in doubt”, a reliable source told our correspondent.
“You know PMB has not really been in the country this year; he might have reshuffled before now. But recent episodes have raised the question of how much appointees are committed to their job.
“But with the declaration by Mama Taraba, the president is likely to remove those he feels have underperformed as well as those who are not loyal.
“It is not really a hard task for him. He appointed all the security heads, so all he needs to do is give directive for reports of movements, meetings and calls made by his appointees”.
- Schools in Kenya to remain shut until 2021
- “The continued lockdown order on the places of worship is no longer acceptable and reasonably justified” – CAN Leadership tackles Lagos Govt
- EFCC witness, Sani Dauda, denies offering Shehu Sani $25,000 as bribe
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority suspends airline, grounds 15 aircraft
- Senate passes anti-sexual harassment bill
- Ibrahim Magu has been suspended as the acting EFCC boss
- Reps to investigate alleged withdrawal of $1.5 billion from NLNG account
- Katsina spent N30 Million on amnesty for repentant bandits
- Nigerian Senate wants Ibadan Airport named after late Senator Abiola Ajimobi
- Just In: Ondo Assembly begins process to impeach deputy governor