Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) says its members are capable of handling any ailment.
In a communique issued after a national executive council (NEC) meeting in Kaduna, Mike Ogirima and Yusuf Tanko Sununu, president and secretary of the association, advised President Muhammadu Buhari to replicate in Nigeria what he saw in the London hospital where he was treated.said Nigerian doctors could treat the president if the working conditions were provided.
They said Nigerian doctors could treat the president if the working conditions were provided.
Expressing dismay with the “continuous low budgetary allocation” to the health sector, the doctors called on the federal government to implement the Abuja Declaration of at least 15 percent budgetary allocation to health and ensure timely release of funds.
“The nature of the president’s ailment is not known to NMA, and even if it is known to us, we have to respect our oath of secrecy,” they said.
“The president like every other citizen of this country has the right to seek second opinion, that is part of medical practice. However, the doctors in Nigeria are capable of handling any ailment if optimal working conditions are provided.
“We have read and heard on BBC that, the president does not believe in the Nigerian health system. What was wrong with the President going outside? It is a fact that our hospitals are not optimally equipped.
“I am sure that the president after spending 100 days in London has the first-hand experience of what we have been shouting, equip! Equip! Upgrade our hospitals.
“We are happy that the president is back. Based on his experience, we are saying he should come and replicate what he has seen in London, at least to take care of the masses. So, we expect him to replicate such within the next two years.
“The NEC observed with dismay the continuous low budgetary allocation to health leading to declining health care service delivery in the country.”
- Northerners met in Kaduna to begin the search for Buhari’s successor
- Breaking: Villagers killed in fresh attacks and reprisals in Kaduna
- Explosives detonated at Governor Wike’s father’s Church in Port Harcourt
- Just In: Borno Governor led residents at Zabarmari for the funeral of 43 farmers beheaded by Boko Haram terrorist
- Breaking: Nigeria’s President Buhari confirms the beheading of 43 Borno rice farmers by Boko Haram
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State, Sen. Sam Egwu has asked security agencies to arrest him
- Update: 43 bodies recovered as Boko Haram terrorists slit throats of Borno farmers
- Federal Housing Authority to publish names of Nigerians indebted to the agency in national dailies – Here’s why
- Breaking: Here are the 2020 candidates that emerged winners of the Future Awards Africa
- Breaking: Boko Haram beheads 43 farmers in Zabarmari, Maiduguri