Estimated Reading Time: <1
Manchester United maintained their dream Premier League start as goals from Eric Bailly, Romelu Lukaku, Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial secured a 4-0 victory at Swansea City on Saturday.
Having put West Ham United to the sword with another 4-0 win in their opening game of the new campaign, United looked like being made to settle for a narrower scoreline for much of the game in South Wales.
But after they had claimed the lead at the end of a tight first half through Bailly’s first goal for the club, they netted three times in a stylish five-minute spell late in the game to give the scoreline an emphatic look.
It meant maximum points, eight goals and two clean sheets in their opening two games for Jose Mourinho’s side.
Swansea were aggrieved that Pogba remained on the field to score after escaping a second yellow card for a foul on Martin Olsson late in the first half.
But manager Paul Clement saw his side implode worryingly once Lukaku bagged United’s second goal and his third in two games for his new club 10 minutes from full-time.
There was a scare for United in the third minute as Jordan Ayew burst forwards for Swansea, cut in from the left and mishit a cross that grazed the visitors’ crossbar.
Mourinho’s men broke almost immediately when Lukaku seized on an errant pass and raced towards goal, but his initial shot was blocked and his follow-up effort curled wide.
The woodwork then came to Swansea’s rescue as the lively opening continued with Juan Mata’s free-kick from the right headed against the crossbar by Phil Jones.
United’s frustration was highlighted on the half-hour when Marcus Rashford sent an ambitious long-range effort straight at home goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.
- Photos: Royal Funeral for Prince Philip as he’s laid to rest at Windsor Castle
- One dead as bandits attack police checkpoint in Taraba
- COVID-19: ‘Forcing people to be vaccinated is immoral’ Bishop Oyedepo says
- Nigerian Government drill boreholes in Buhari home state to avoid the spread of Covid-19
- Odua self-determination rally suffers setback as police surround venue in Ibadan
- Dogs to complement security arrangements in Katsina boarding schools
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders