Estimated Reading Time: <1
Manchester United maintained their dream Premier League start as goals from Eric Bailly, Romelu Lukaku, Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial secured a 4-0 victory at Swansea City on Saturday.
Having put West Ham United to the sword with another 4-0 win in their opening game of the new campaign, United looked like being made to settle for a narrower scoreline for much of the game in South Wales.
But after they had claimed the lead at the end of a tight first half through Bailly’s first goal for the club, they netted three times in a stylish five-minute spell late in the game to give the scoreline an emphatic look.
It meant maximum points, eight goals and two clean sheets in their opening two games for Jose Mourinho’s side.
Swansea were aggrieved that Pogba remained on the field to score after escaping a second yellow card for a foul on Martin Olsson late in the first half.
But manager Paul Clement saw his side implode worryingly once Lukaku bagged United’s second goal and his third in two games for his new club 10 minutes from full-time.
There was a scare for United in the third minute as Jordan Ayew burst forwards for Swansea, cut in from the left and mishit a cross that grazed the visitors’ crossbar.
Mourinho’s men broke almost immediately when Lukaku seized on an errant pass and raced towards goal, but his initial shot was blocked and his follow-up effort curled wide.
The woodwork then came to Swansea’s rescue as the lively opening continued with Juan Mata’s free-kick from the right headed against the crossbar by Phil Jones.
United’s frustration was highlighted on the half-hour when Marcus Rashford sent an ambitious long-range effort straight at home goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid
- Rumours about Ebenezer Obey’s death are wicked and unfounded – Son
- People living with disabilities will be priotised in N-Power – FG
- Kano government to establish state anti-corruption institute
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit